Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

It was driving fine, then all of a sudden today the

Customer Question
It was driving fine...

It was driving fine, then all of a sudden today the malfunction indicator lamp came on, and the smell of gas was around when it was sitting idle

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

I don't think it's a gas hog, and it started up as usual, but then seemed sluggish.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Buick?

Also the service StabiliTrak® System keeps coming on and off it's a 2013 buick regal

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Regal yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing so far. I drove it to autozone around the corner from my house. they could not find anything with the reading Then we undid the battery and waited a few minutes and rehooked it up to see if the computer would reset It came back on smell started again

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Again, it just happened today for the first time

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Buick
9/10/2017
Buick Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 11 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer

The engine light came on because the powertrain control module saw a failure in a monitored component and set fault codes. The fuel smell could be from the exhaust due to it running very rich, it could be an actual fuel leak, or you may have an evaporative emissions system leak.

Disconnecting the battery cleared the stored fault codes that were necessary to begin diagnosing the problem. The possible fuel leak needs to be addressed first to determine if the vehicle is safe to operate. If safe then it needs to be driven or ran long enough for the engine light to come on again, and then fault codes need to be read to be able to begin testing.

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help you can reply back here and I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!

Thank you. Appreciate your help.
You're welcome!
Please remember to rate my performance before leaving the site as that is the only way I receive credit for helping you; a five star rating is greatly appreciated!