Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Buick

2002 LeSabre 200K miles. orig trans. Just gave to 17 yr old

son. R.1 and 2 work...
2002 LeSabre 200K miles. orig trans. Just gave to 17 yr old son. R.1 and 2 work (slips)... needs trans. Engine good
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: 200k Auto
JA: Are you fixing your LeSabre yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: self
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/20/2017
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

How can I help you tonight?

should I replace the trans or bail?
would rather get a sense of what you think first

What kind of shape is the rest of the car? Is the paint good? How about the interior?

paint is good, just changed the plugs wires, water pump. replaced the rear air suspension 2 years ago with air shocks. runs well
interior is great for the age

The transmission in this car is a 4t60e. They are a very common transmission. Do you have a pic a part near you where you can go and pull your own parts?

I can get a trans. Is the trans a 4t60e or 4t65E?

What size engine does your car have in it?

3800
2.86 final

Yes it is a 4t65e. With the car being in good shape, it will cost you less to replace the trans, then to get another used car you know nothing about.

I know. How many hours would it take to replace? replacing a trans is not something I've done, but I have a shop that will do the work.

The labor time is 8.2 hours, But If you know the short cuts, it can be done in about 5.

I was thinking about 7 so that fits. Anything else I should replace at the same time?

You will want to flush the transmission cooler in the radiator as well, so no debris from the old transmission gets into the new/used one. And you will not want to reuse the torque converter that is in the car now. Other then that, you should replace the filter and fluid.

Yup, new Torque converter is on order. Is it easier to pull the engine or replace from below?

If you have a hanging fixture that will support the engine, it is much faster to drop the cradle and pull just the transmission.

anything else worth doing while in there?
any recommended places to get a new trans?

Check the engine mounts, brakes, and axles for wear. If the boots are cracked, busted or torn, replace the axles. Other then that, look at the belt and hoses and check for engine leaks. The rear main is easy to change when the trans is out.

what kinda life have you seen from the 3800? This car is 200k and this is it's first trans. It's been solid and well maintained

Most indipendant transmission shops will rebuild your old one for around $1000 if you take it to them out of the car. To make sure that you do not run into any problems, rebuilding the unit that is in the car is always the best idea.

I have a customer that has over 500,000 on hers, and I have rebuilt the transmission 3 times, and only done routine service on the rest of the car. I have only had to replace the intake, and timing chain on her engine.

It all depends on how the car is driven, how the car is maintained, and how often it is serviced.

intake manifold gasket I guess? when did you do the timing chain?

The upper intake is plastic, and there are coolant passages that are known to wear out and the intake has to be replaced. The timing chain was done at 265,000.

Any problems with water leaks in the LeSabre? Have a intermittent leak into the trunk I've been trying to find

Check the tail light mounting holes. The sealant around the bolts that hold the tail lights in are bad about drying out and letting water in.

anything from farther up? Sunroof? Roof drains?
I see a leak into the trunk from the rear pillar
sometimes some water under the backseat under the battery... but thats the low spot
Oh, and while I have you... what's the best replacement window mech vendor that you know? I've replaced the window mechs a few times, damn tangled cables.

I have not seen any problems from the sun roof that would leak into the trunk. The drains lines for the sun roof run down the a pillars along the sides of the windshield, and down the C pillars just behind the rear doors. From the area that you have water coming in from, it sounds like the rear window seal is leaking. To help you find the leak, use a shower head connected to a water hose, and let water run over specific locations and see where the water is coming in at. I have one mounted to a 7 foot pole so I can have the water running and can be in the car looking for drips or streams.

are there known leaks from the sunroof though? I thought my son left it open and the headliner was wet, but it has not happened again. But it did happen two or three times

The drain holes" there are 4, one in each corner of the sun roof frame" That can get stopped up with dirt, leaves, and dust. If that happens and the car is parked on a slant so one corner is lower then the rest and that line is stopped up, it can over flow and get the head liner wet.

34;rebuilding the unit that is in the car is always the best idea"
how much worse is it if I get an exact rebuild and just replace?
34;If that happens and the car is parked on a slant so one corner is lower then the rest " That makes sense will look it up

There is always the chance that the unit you get that has been rebuilt, has been modified for the last owner, and will not work as it should in your car.

Yeah. It's a trade off I guess. I can get a rebuild one with a 3-5 year warranty and save on the install, or have them rebuild it for a 1 year warranty(with install)

Prime example, I rebuilt a trans for a hummer. I had replace the case as the one the customer had was broken.The case I got was exactly the same as the one I took out of his hummer. The trans did not last for more then 4 days after rebuilding it 5 times. I only used the case, and all of his old parts. Some one had drilled a hole in the passages for the valve body that I did not see and would not work correctly. I had to get a second case to fix it.

If a transmission is built correctly, it should last for no less then 100,000 miles. So warranty does not mean better built.

Yeah, I know.... thanks for the reminder

I give a standard 1 year on all my units, I have never had one that went bad that did not go bad with in the first two weeks. " and I have not had many of them not last" So if there is a problem in the rebuild you should know in a very short time.

good to know. Anything else I should look out for on the lesabre and 3800?

Make sure to only use dexcool coolant in it. Green antifreeze will damage the plastic intake and intake gaskets as well as cause the radiator to fail faster. As long as you use only dexcool, and never mix it with green or the so called " will mix with any coolant" The system should last with out any trouble.

If dexcool and green anti freeze mix, it will turn to a muddy substance.

yeah, thanks I knew that. Dexcool, great but not compatable AND needs to be changed

Green coonat every year, dexcool aver 5 years.

yup. well the car IS going on 15 years
Ok, thanks for the help. gonna figure out what to with the trans.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
kalamykid
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech