Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

MY DVR SIDE ACTUATOR IS DEAD. HAVE MOST OF THE PANELS OFF.

MY DVR SIDE ACTUATOR...

MY DVR SIDE ACTUATOR IS DEAD. HAVE MOST OF THE PANELS OFF . WHERE IS IT? I SAW THE ONE ON PASS. SIDE

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Buick?

HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM ON THE 2003, BUT THE 2000 IS ONE TORN APART. BOTH ARE BUICK LASABRES.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Buick?

THE ONE TORN DOWN IS 2000.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

DOING MYSELF. HAVE ALL PANELS OFF ,CONTROL MODUL RADIO OUT,GLOVE BOX OUT.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is this an aftermarket stereo, or did it come with the car?

CAME W/CAR.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

WAS IN PROCESS OF TAKING THE PANEL THAT HOLDS RADIO OUT. AND SPEEDO ASSMY IS OUT.

8/20/2017
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

does your 2000 have automatic climate control or manual climate control

And does it have separate driver and passenger side temperature controls

IT HAS AUTOMATIC CC, NO PASS TEMP CONTROL
THIS IS FINE.

HI,

Ok, I have attached a diagram with it highlighted.

Looking underneath and behind the driver side of the dash towards center of dash, you will see the end of the hvac housing box. There will be 2 actuators. You want the one slightly lower and toward firewall of the 2

I WILL LOOK THERE. THANKS ERIC.

you are welcome

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
ERIC, THINGS ARE LOOKING VERY GOOD AT THIS POINT. I DID SEE ONE ACTUATOR AFTER I REMOVE THE LOWER PANEL, BUT THE "SKEETERS" ARE TOOO BAD THIS TIME OF NIGHT TO CONTINUE. WILL GET BACK ON IT AFTER CHURCH TOMORROW. "YA DONE GOOD". IF ONLY I COULD CHATTED WITH YOU BEFORE I TORE MY CAR APART. THANKS AND LATER. DAVE!

you are welcome and have a great evening

ERIC, I FOUND THE MODE ACT., BUT THE DVR SIDE ACT. IS NOT AS IT APPEARS ON THE DIAGRAM . I TRACED THE WIRING FROM THE MODE ACT. AND IT GOES TO THE PASS. SIDE. I CAN SEE THREE ACTUATORS, TWO ON THE PASS. SIDE AND ONE ON DVR SIDE. THE ACT. ON DVR SIDE HAS THREE WIRES (BRN/YEL/YEL) LOOKED HI & LO FOR THE OTHER ACT. TO NO AVAIL.I HAVE WORKED ON AIRCRAFT IN THESE SAME SITUATIONS SO IT'S NOT THAT I'M IN TOTAL DARKNESS., BUT I NEED HELP ON THIS ONE.

HI,

Ok, can you get me the 17 digit vin number and let me pull it that way

VIN# *****
WHAT YOU'RE SAYING IS THIS ACT. OPERATES BOTH SIDES. THE DVR SIDE DOORS WORK, BUT THEY DO NOT CLOSE COMPLETELY, AS I CAN FEEL A TINGE OF COOL AIR.

HI,

Correct, one actuator for both sides.

Remove the actuator and operate the door shaft that the actuator goes onto and see if it moves freely from hot to cold and cold to hot. If it does, then it is the actuator. If not, then something inside the housing is causing it to stick or the door is cracked or broken

ANOTHER THING, THE SHAFT THE ACT.FITS ON HAS SPLINES. ARE THERE TWO TYPES ? THE ONE FROM PARTS STORE DOES NOT.

hi,

I dont have the part numbers but there is a difference between the one with passenger and driver side actuators and one with just the single temp actuator. They likely gave you the one with the 2 actuators

I'LL BE BACK IN A BIT.

ok, will be here all day

ERIC, REMOVED ACT., DOOR SHAFT MOVES FREELY, HOWEVER IT TENDS TO FALL DOWN IN THE COOL POSITION WITH A/C OFF. DVR SIDE STILL NOT AS COOL AS PASS SIDE.

HI,

Ok, do you have ac gages to check the ac pressures on high and low side? Sometimes a slightly low refrigerant level will cause this condition. The evaporator is on the passenger side, so if refrigerant level is low, the passenger side gets the coldest air since its vents are closer to the evaporator.

I like to rule this out before plunging into possible obstruction in vent ducts or debris on evaporator.

ERIC, ANOTHER ODD THING, WITH THE ACT. UNPLUGGED, IT APPEARS TO TRAVEL FROM THE COOL POSITION TO HEAT AND NOT QUITE BACK TO COOL.THE NEW ONE I HAVE IS NOT CORRECT.

HI,

Ok, I want to try a recalibration. the actuator needs to be in place and plugged in for this

In the fusebox underneath the rear seat, remove fuses 33 and 37 for at least 1 minute. Reinsert and turn key to on position for 1 minute. Crank engine, wait 1 minute and then test the temperature control

GOT YOUR LATEST ON GAUGES. WILL CHECK. LOW SIDE 32/ HIGH SIDE 190. NO CHANGE AFTER RECAL W/ENGINE OFF GAUGES READ LOW/ 95 AND HIGH/ 95.

Ok, refrigerant is good.

with no difference with recalibration, I suspect that either there is debris on the evaporator or something blocking full actuation of the door

SINCE YOU SAID THAT, I RECENTLY REALIZED THERE IS A CABIN AIR FILTER WHICH IS MISSING. COULD DEBRIS COME THRU THAT OPENING?

HI,

Yes, with it missing, that allows pine straw, leaves, or other debris thru the fresh air into the evap housing. you could try sticking a flat wand attachment to a shop vac and suck it out and see what you get

ON MY 2003 BUICK VIN# ***** , TELL ME IF THE ACTUATORS ARE THE SAME AS THE 2000. WHAT IS YOUR TAKE ON STOP LEAK? IT HAS THE SAME PROBLEM AS THE 2000. I PUT REFRIGERANT IN IT AND IT WORKED FOR A WHILE, BUT NOW IT'S WARM ON BOTH SIDES.

HI,

This does not sound like an actuator issue though. It sounds like a leak in the system. I detest the stop leak. It gums up the orifice tube/expansion valve as well as the evaporator and condenser. I wont even touch a vehicle with it in the system as it damages ac recovery machines.

the actuators are a different design in the 2003.

JUST CHECKED 2003 , IT DOES NOT HAVE A CABIN AIR FILTER EITHER. WHAT ARE THE STEPS TO FINDING A LEAK.

HI,

Get refrigerant with flourescent dye in it and shoot into system and run with ac on for a few days, then use a black light to inspect the ac components for traces of the dye. For the evaporator, you usually are able to see some in the ac condensation that drips onto the ground.

WHAT IS THE INFO ON THE 2003 JUST IN CASE?
THE ACTUATORS.

sorry, my bad. I was on the wrong schematics.

the 2003 is identical to the 2000 for the actuators

THAT IS NOT A PROBLEM. YOU HAVE BEEN VERY HELPFUL. WILL SEE ABOUT CLEANING THE DUCT ON BOTH, FINDING THE LEAK AND INSTALLING THE FILTERS. OH, AND PUTTING MY CAR BACK TOGETHER. RIGHT NOW I NEED A BREAK TO SETTLE MY MIND. I WILL LET YOU KNOW THE OUTCOME HELP THE NEXT PERSON. "TIL' LATER".

sounds good, and keep me posted.