Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Within the past year I've experienced my engine stalling on…

Customer Question
Within the past year...

Within the past year I've experienced my engine stalling on several occasions and where the engine would literally prevent the car from accelerating or loosing power temporarily and then loosing speed and finally a hard acceleration. According to the diagnosis from the dealership they found the timing chain had stretched and $1541.00 later I was informed that would correct the problem. Approximately a month ago the same problems occurred and I was informed that the fuel pump was malfunctioning and pumping to much fuel into the engine causing the engine to choke from excessive fuel. This alleged problem resulted in a billing for $1,250. I was informed that since the two problems were unrelated the problem was now finally corrected. As of this past Friday August 4th the same condition occurred and on this occasion while driving to the dealership I barely made it into the service area as the car practically stopped and I literally coasted into the service shop. I was provided with a free loaner and informed that the trouble light revealed an OBD 11 problem which could be any number of problems including to include but not limited to emission controls fuel system ( which was supposedly corrected with the replacement of the fuel pump),

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles on the car? How responsive has your car been lately?

The total mileage which I can't pinpoint at the moment was North of 153,000 when I dropped it at the dealership on Friday. This millage was incurred predominantly on the highway due to my employment responsibilities with very little city or stop and go mileage. The cars performance since the replacement of the timing chain has been sluggish when accelerating.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2010 Buick lacrosse

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your LaCrosse yourself? What have you tried so far?

My car has been serviced exclusively by the dealership where I purchased the car. I am not a mechanic and therefore my service record at Sellers Buick GMC has been consistent with regard to oil changes etc. since I purchased the vehicle in 2010.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's it!

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Buick
8/6/2017
Buick Mechanic: Amedee, Buick Mechanic replied 9 months ago
Amedee
Amedee, Buick Mechanic

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help you any way I can.

May I start by getting your VIN and any stored codes in the computer?

Thank you!!

IG4GC5EG2AF141610

It says invalid VIN?

The VIN Number is ***** and I don't need to talk, I just need a response to the problem otherwise I will cancel the transaction.

See for yourself here.

Plug your VIN number in and tell me what it says.

1G4GC5EG2AF141610

Thank you.

One moment please

Was the throttle body replaced?

Do you know if there are any codes in the computer?

No I do not wish to engage in a phone call.

No problem. We can continue on this page.

Buick Mechanic: david craig, ASE Certified Technician replied 9 months ago
david craig
david craig, ASE Certified Technician

Hi Im David, you can continue to keep taking it to the dealer where the techs are incompetent or you can find a small local neighborhood mom and pop shop who will actually fix your vehicle. If you are looking for an answer from me on the problem then you will need a voltmeter, a test light, and a scan tool that reads live data so I can walk you through the steps needed to find the problem. thank you.

I informed you last week that I was cancelling the inquiry and as of last Wednesday August (,2017 I traded in my vehicle. I no longer have the car therefore I no longer have a need for answers to the problem that I was having with that vehicle.

You never informed me of anything. Have a great day

Dave Nova
Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Buick Technician