Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Buick Mechanic
Experience:  GM, Chevrolet Cert., Heavy Line Mech, Race Shop Owner, Mobile Electronics.
1609972

Oh um. It appears my 2000 Buick Park avenue has a power draw

Customer Question

Oh um. It appears my 2000 Buick Park avenue has a power draw and is draining the battery. I just had a new stereo installed (just the Head Unit) and the tech that installed it did mention that the amp seems to stay on after the car gets shut off. He said that it might drain the battery and I'd have to do an amp bypass in order to get it to not draw. It was fine for about a week. Everyday I could turn it on and off just fine, only since yesterday and this morning has it not had any juice to start up.
JA: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?
Customer: I do but the wiring diagram doesn't perfectly match up (there are a few different colored wires that I assume were put in by mistake), part of the reason I had someone else install it was because of all the mismatched wires!
JA: Are you fixing your Park Avenue yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Well up to this point nothing. I believe it has to do with the RD fuse under the seat, and I'm also assuming I'll have to do a bypass like the tech who installed the radio thought might have to happen
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's it. The everything else on the car is fine, and only since I had this new stereo installed has this happened.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Don - Mo Lurch replied 2 months ago.

sorry for the delay............
IF the Installer used a Wiring Adapter that plugs into the Factory Radio Plug of the vehicle, then there should be NO issue, unless he connected other wires that constantly are on
What is the Brand & Model Number of the New Radio?
Is your Park Avenue Base or Ultra?
Are you sure you have the Factory AMP?

.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the wiring adapter was used, I believe. The radio is the Pioneer avh-x391bhs model. I did a power draw test with a multimeter today, and no amps were being drawn while the car was off. I've disconnected the red terminal from the battery and will leave for a 5-6 hours and test the battery again to see if maybe the battery is just taking a dump.The car is the Park Avenue Base, and I believe I do have the Factory Amp since all the speakers seem to work (9 of them right? Or 7?)

Thank you for the added info...........

Factory AMP is located under the Rear Shelf, Driver side
IF Adapter Plug was used, then it is a basic "color for color" connection of the Plug to the Pioneer, including the BLUE or BLUE / WHITE wire to turn ON the AMP
.

Should have "some" draw for Memory of Radio, Computer, Modules, etc, less than 1 amp
Could be the Battery or cell is bad
IF you need further, let me know

.

Here is Battery Draw Test if you need:

Turn Ignition off

Roll driver window down
Close all doors

Using a "Multi Meter (VOM)

Remove the negative side battery cable from the negative battery terminal.
The meter needs to be able to read at least a 2 -5 amps for this test to work.

Attach a multimeter(set the dial on the multimeter to measure Amps as per multimeters instructions) between the negative cable and the negative battery post.

Wait a few seconds to several minutes for the car to go into sleep mode - i.e. when you make the contact with the ammeter, the cars computer systems "wake up". After a bit of time they will go back to "sleep".
If the ammeter is reading over 25-50 milliamps, something is using too much battery power.
Go to the fuse panel(s) and remove fuses, one at a time.

Pull the main fuses (higher amp ratings)last.

Perform the same steps for relays found in the fuse panel.

Sometimes relay contacts can fail to release causing a drain. Be sure to observe the ammeter after pulling each fuse or relay.
Watch for the ammeter to drop to acceptable drain.

The fuse that reduces the drain is the draw.

Consult the owners' manual or service manual to find what circuits are on that fuse.
Check each device (circuit) on that fuse.

Stop lamp, heater, etc. to find the drain.
Repeat steps to test your repair.

You can also try unhooking the big wire from your alternator.

The alternator can sometimes have a shorted diode that can cause amps to flow through the alternator's power cable and through the shorted diode and into the case and through the bolts and back to the negative battery terminal.

Make sure to read the ammeter before and after unplugging your Alternator

did you need more information?
please respond or rate my answer

thank you

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you
If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today.
Please reply and let me know why.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating