Chris (aka- Moose), Buick Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

When I put my key in park and I turn it off the car doesn't

Customer Question

When I put my key in park and I turn it off the car doesn't think it's in park so it won't let the key out. The key will be like a little turn away from coming out
JA: Soon. I'm trying to find the right Buick Mechanic for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know. Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: My grandpa thinks it's got to do with a wire to the transmission or something to do with the shifter. I can turn the steering wheel and everything. The only thing that's really worked to get the car to unlock the key is to rock it. The keys are in perfect condition
JA: What is the model/year of your Buick?
Customer: Regal 2002
JA: Are you fixing your Regal yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We haven't done anything yet. My grandpa wants to take the center console out and look at the shifter to see if he can spot the problem but I thought I'd ask. I don't really want to spend a bunch of money at the shop for them to search for what's wrong so I want to either find out and tell them or just fix it my self
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that should be it
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 10 days ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started.

A bad park switch or weak park lock solenoid is to blame. Can you access the park switch on the shifter to see if it is a closed circuit in park. Here are the diagrams. https://www.dropbox.com/s/hm4yzga76x04iop/park%20switch.pdf?dl=0

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 8 days ago.

Hello Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris