Roy Belding
Roy Belding, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master ASE since 1980
3506196

Buick shuts off,turn ignition off for ten secount's starts

Customer Question

Buick shuts off,turn ignition off for ten secount's starts backs up. leaves no codes. Been doing it for 4 months
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Do not know if lights will go on. But before this started service light on,mech told me thermostate needed to be replaced. I'm Shute bat is charging and not old aut is putting out good charging good 14amps
JA: What is the model/year of your Buick?
Customer:*****with heads up,not turbo
JA: What year is your Turbo?
Customer: No,I m not it is not turbo charged. It's a*****
JA: Are you fixing your Turbo yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, I do not have turbo
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have done nothing yet,because the Buick dealer couldn't tell me what it could be. No. Codes. It leaves no codes!
Category: Buick
Expert:  Roy Belding replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist. Please allow me a moment to gather some information.

ok, first, not every problem will set a code. it is for electronic control or fuel control issues. anyway, there are a few possibilities for this.

1. fuel pump or fuel pump relay. the pressure needs to be checked as well as the voltage at the relay and at the pump as well.

2. ignition control module. common failure for this symptom. shuts off spark momentarily. you can remove the module and take it to a parts store and they can check it for you for free. have them test it 3 times so it heats up.

3. crankshaft position sensor. another common failure.

these need to be tested before confirming failure.

techs today rely way too much on codes telling them failures. old fashion testing needs to be done to actually find the failures.

Roy