Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Buick Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

Radiator clogged, or nearly clogged. High temperature

Customer Question

Radiator clogged, or nearly clogged. High temperature reading. No heat to speak of. Took it to have flushed, was told it may be close to $500 to flush right (with new thermostat). Ouch.
JA: Have you checked to make sure the thermostat is working? What about the coolant level?
Customer: Coolant level had been low, but not now. Not sure how to check thermostat
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2006 Buick Rendezvous 3500L
JA: Are you fixing your Rendezvous yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Cleared out crud that I could see under radiator cap and down few inches. Would be glad to locate drain for it and do myself if necessary.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Buick
Expert:  Todd M replied 6 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. The best way to flush the radiator, in my opinion, is the remove the upper and lower radiator hoses and flush water through. For $500 I'm sure you could have the radiator replaced and the system flushed. The best way to test the thermostat is to remove is from the vehicle, place it in some water and warm the water up to the rated temperature. Although, once you have it out, it's best to replace it since it's relatively inexpensive. Give me a few moments to pull up some information on this subject.