Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Buick Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

Getting P0301 code. Changed plug, ignition wire, coil pack,

Customer Question

Getting P0301 code. Changed plug, ignition wire, coil pack, and ignition module under the coil pack - still getting P301. If I accelerate RPM, get a constant speed variation.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the fuel filters?
Customer: This is at an idle in park. Have not checked filter, but will put a pressure gauge on fuel rail.
JA: What is the model/year of your Buick?
Customer: 1999 Century
JA: Are you fixing your Century yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, as I said, I changed plug, wire, coil pack and ignition module.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That is all I can tell you at present
Category: Buick
Expert:  david craig replied 7 months ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. do you have a noid test light?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No, what is that? I do have a timing light I use just to see if there is a spark being fired. I could see missing flashes from the timing light when clamped around the #1 wire. That was making me think it has to be electrical. This coil fires for both #1 and #4 (waste spark) but I only ever see the P0301 code for #1.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
BTW - a year ago I had the same code - changed plugs and wires. A month later it popped up again. Changed the coil pack, Then I did not have it for a year until recently. Swapped coil pack again, but no change. Then changed plug and wire again. Still not change. That is when I changed the ignition module under the coil packs. Still will not clear, sets code again after a few minutes of idle. If I give it gas (in park) it surges.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No hurry on this - can now sitting for a month - it is an extra vehicle. I am leaving home now for a bit. Talk later.

a noid light checks the fuel injector getting a pulse command from the computer. i imagine you can use a test light. but you need to hook it up to the #1 fuel injector connector to both contacts. if the computer is telling it to pulse, the light will rapid flash

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I can probably check that with my Fluke meter or an oscilloscope? I happen to be an electrical technician.

not a fluke meter you cant. maybe a scope.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Back again. So I am to look for an injector pulse? Just voltage at the injector, or do I need to measure current? I do have a hall-effect device that can measure DC current as well as AC on the scope. But will that prove the injector is opening on the pulse? I probably will not be able to get to check this for maybe a week. How long do you keep these cases open?

these only stay open for 6 days. its best you you run to harbor freight and buy a cheap noid light set.

just checking in to see how its going

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Just got the noid light this weekend. Hope to be able to test it soon. I do not have a garage, so all work is outside in the weather, which has been very cold lately. Was sunny today, but had to go out of town. Hope to find time soon.

ok, well keep me in the loop