Chris (aka- Moose), Buick Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Security system goes off after driving over 30 minutes. Rear

Customer Question

Security system goes off after driving over 30 minutes. Rear hatch will not latch. Battery replaced, no change. Code security vs. Bcm. Does bcm need to be replaced by dealer?
JA: Have you changed a battery before?
Customer: Bought 2 1/2 years ago. Just replaced battery last week
JA: What is the model/year of your Buick?
Customer: 2002 rendezvous cxl
JA: Are you fixing your Rendezvous yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No. Not myself. Auto repair. Replaced battery. Service engine soon light is off now but same problem
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you
Category: Buick
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 9 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner till early morning.

Are you saying the alarm (pulsing horn and flashing light) goes off while driving?

What must you do to stop the alarm?

Is the alarm OEM or aftermarket?

When closing the rear hatch will it close all the way or does it stop about 2 inches shy?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Does not happen unless driving more than 15-20 miles. Rear hatch comes unlocked(will not relatch) when turned off headlights will stay on, brake lights will stay on, beeping noise inside and different dash lights flash). Also battery will die after 20 minutes of car is turned off (brand new battery). Auto repair thought it was battery. Do not know exact code but read something about battery control module not receiving information from security system.

All these issues are going to take extensive diagnostics. So far this looks to be a failure of the body control module. Do you have a scan tool and volt meter and understand wire diagrams?

Please read this:

1. Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.
  2. I do not work at or for Just Answer. You and I can only communicate on this page.
  3. When you're pleased or happy with my answer or efforts to help you. At the top of the screen please rate me or reply and say ( I'm pleased.)
  4. When I help you I am only paid from your question value deposit when you rate me on this screen. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.

Thanks for using Just Answer, Chris