Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

2009 Buick Lacrosse V6 3.8L. When accelerating check engine

Customer Question

2009 Buick Lacrosse V6 3.8L. When accelerating check engine light starts flashing and stability control service message coming on. Engine hesitates and feels like loosing power. Need help...
Category: Buick
Expert:  Dan replied 7 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Expert:  Dan replied 7 months ago.

This most likely means you have a failing ignition coil causing the msifire which will also turn on stability control message. You need to start by having diagnostic codes checked which can be done at your local parts store for free. It should indicate specifically what cylinder is misfiring, then swap that coil with another cylinder and reset codes. If misfire follows coil that you swapped around then this verifies coil is the problem and that it needs to be replaced. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have a scanner. First I was getting P0300. Cleared it and drove it. Now I got Cylinder #2 misfire
Expert:  Dan replied 7 months ago.

Then it is most likely the cylinder 2 coil, swap that with another cylinder to see if it follows coil. If so, then replace. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I swapped the coil from #2 to #4. still getting this same symptoms and code P0300
Expert:  Dan replied 7 months ago.

You will need to keep driving until it throws a cylinder specific code or just buy a new coil and hope for the best, I'm pretty confident coil is the problem. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can bad catalytic converters cause the random misfiring? I had clogged up converters. I took the exhaust apart and removed the broken "honey cones". I dont have a back pressure but there is not enough material for the converters to work properly. I got the engine power back though....
Expert:  Dan replied 7 months ago.

It can but not usually. Usually the converter clogged up will allow vehicle to still idle fine but when trying to accelerate it will max out at around 3500 rpm. Any time engine light flashes it almost always means ignition related problem. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Should I just buy a new coil and keep swapping until the problem goes away? I put new spark plugs a couple weeks ago...
Expert:  Dan replied 7 months ago.

That's what I'd do, coils are fairly cheap. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions. Thanks.