FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

My wifes 2012 enclave low oil pressure kill car now light

Customer Question

My wifes 2012 enclave low oil pressure kill car now light came on and it killed the car. I put new oil and filter on but now it won't start
Category: Buick
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 7 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** you tell me what the engine does when you try starting it. Does the engine crank or will the engine not turn over at all?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It cranks but acts like it's out of gas
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 7 months ago.

Thank you. If the vehicle stalled then that would have caused the oil light to come on. It may not have anything to do with the engine stalling. You need to see if the engine is lacking spark or fuel. You should see if it will start with some fuel added directly into the engine. Can you hear a buzzing from the fuel pump when the key is first turned on?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No humming on the fuel pump
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 7 months ago.

You may have a failure in the fuel pump or a circuit issue. Was the fuel low when this occurred?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
3/4 tank was driving down the Rd started knocking said low oil pressure and died
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Could the fuel system make it knock and throw oil pressure msg
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 7 months ago.

Okay. If it was knocking then that is a different story. It sounds like the timing chain may have failed. I would do a compression test. If there is little to no compression then the timing chain has failed and the engine will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Any idea what I would be looking at as far as cost
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 7 months ago.

It would probably be around $2500-3500 depending on where you get it done.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is there a shade tree method of checking the compression with out a gauge
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 7 months ago.

No really because you cannot tell low pressure from high pressure without a gauge. Does the engine seem to crank over at a faster pace than usual?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Let me give you the whole story which I guess I should have started with . We left the house the car was running fine we got 3 miles from the house it began to knock and the low oil pressure msg came on I pulled over it died . I went ahead and changed the oil and filter on the side of the Rd thinking it might be a faulty oil filter. Went to start it back and it acted like the battery was low but finally started turned around and made it about a mile the knocking got loud and it died again now when you try to start it it turns over normally but won't start. I unhooked the battery for 2 hours to reset the computer but didn't help. It will turn over as usual and act like it wants to start but just wont.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 7 months ago.

It does sound like an engine failure. How did the oil look when it came out? Was there plenty of it?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
plenty and the information system showed 66% oil life remaining
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 7 months ago.

We there anything solid in it like any metal shavings?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Not that I seen I was wondering about the oil pickup tube or the pump
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 7 months ago.

It may have been the pump that failed. I think that the only thing that could be done now is a compression test to see if anything can be confirmed, but from what you have said it definitely sounds like the engine will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay bud I'll check it in the a.m. I appreciate all your help I will let you know when I find out something. Thank you again for the help
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 7 months ago.

Sounds good. Let me know what you find. Have a great rest of your night.