david craig
david craig,
Experience:  owner/mechanic at 3D Automotive
4993992

2005 Buick Rendezvous (164,000 miles) is giving off a gas

Customer Question

2005 Buick Rendezvous (164,000 miles) is giving off a gas odor, and is a bit ornery when it's time to crank. Cranks up after 1-2 extra tries and then seems to run fine.
Category: Buick
Expert:  david craig replied 1 year ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. where do you think the gas odor is coming from?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
by the front left tire, near the hood
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can't really smell it inside

if you open the hood, can you see any evidence of a gas leak?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure; I didn't see anything obvious by looking inside. My wife drives it mostly. She says she has seen a dark spot on the ground under the car, about 4" in diameter.

is the spot in the driveway? can you smell the spot?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i live in an apartment complex, so at this moment given where we have to park, I can't really investigate. It's dark outside.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't seen a spot. She just mentioned it a minute ago.

ok, but if its gas and its leaking from the engine compartment, its losing pressure and therefore takes a couple of times to crank it to start until the right fuel pressure is attained. having said that, i would recommend not driving the vehicle intil it is fixed, because it can start an engine fire.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I'll need to take the risk to get it to a mechanic, but when I go, what is your diagnosis -- what should I tell the mechanic to investigate first?

its very important to find out where the smell is coming from by visually inspecting it while turning the key to the on position a few times

just what you told me. you smell fuel and its hard to start sometimes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you give me any other 'best guesses' that I can lead with? Fuel pump, bad hose, fuel filter, ... any specifics at all ???

if there wasnt a gas smell near the engine i would say have the fuel pressure tested. until that is done, theres nothing else to do. dont let the mechanic start throwing parts at you vehicle. tell him to find out the root cause.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks

please leave a 5 star rating after you accept the answer, if you were satisfied with my assistance. thanks and good luck to you.

checking in to see how its going