Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Buick

06 Buick rendezvous no crank no start

Customer Question
06 Buick rendezvous no crank no start
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Buick
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/7/2016
Buick Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Is the theft light on?

Have you scanned the system to see if there are any fault codes setting?

Is the battery fully charged and the connections clean and tight?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No theft light. Battery is fully charged codes only on radio and that is u1000 class 2 data link

Okay if you take your 12 volt test light and or a volt meter and at the starter with the key in the crank position are you getting battery voltage on both wires at the starter?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Only the battery wire not the little wire

Okay have a look at the enclosed wiring diagram and see if your getting the ground from the PCM (computer) at the starter relay while holding the key in the crank position.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Start%20Sep%207.pdf

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I hooked my test light to positive and there is ground at the relay when we turn the key there is no change in the test light

There are 4 oinns, two are power , one is the ground from the PCM and the 4th is power out to the starter. Do you have power in on the two power pins with the key on?

Okay if both pins have power and you have ground from the PCM the relay should click and energize, dose it click when cranking?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No it doesnt no click in the relay at all

Okay if you are sure you have power in on both power wires and a good ground from the PCM and the relay dose not energize then that points towards a bad relay. Try swapping the relay out of a known good relay.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have another and i pulled the relay from that one and still the same thing

Okay then recheck for power on both power pins as well as a good ground from the PCM in the crank position and if all three are present you should have power out on the purple wire to the starter.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What I have done is put a wire on those crank relay and now the car will start and run

Okay which wire are you jumping?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My two hots

If you sure the 40 amp starter solenoid fuse is okay then both pins at the relay should be hot. Did you not say they where?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
both r hot

Okay if both are hot and you have a good ground from the PCM at the relay then it should start. Which wires are you jumping?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
At the relay for crank it is the two that r hot

If there hot as they should be why are you having to jump power to them?

Okay your supplying power to the relay from the two fuse that should be supplying power to it. If you remove your jumper do these two pins have power from the two fuse?

It will as long as you jumper is in place. Dose it run if you remove the jumper and install the relay?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it does if i pull relay out while running stays running.

This is a stater relay, of course it will stay running once it started, will it crank and start with the jumper removed?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No

Okay then are you sure you have power at both pins from the two fuse at the relay?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
now it wont start again

If you have power at both pins with the relay in place and a good ground at the relay from the PCM then it should crank and start. You missing something here.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just switched that wire to the ground side of the relay and the starter engaged but did not start the vehicle

Okay your missing something here, you need power to the two hot pins and a good ground from the PCM at the relay with it in place and if you have that the engine should crank. Which one are you lacking?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
At the crank relay there is 2 that r hot and then i put my test light on the red of the battery to test for ground and i have ground at the relay 1 very strong 1 weak
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Wat tells the ecm to send out a ground to the relay

The PCM reads the keys and if the keys are read then the PCM will ground the relay and allow the engine to start.

Your data is showing the key is learned, have you tried a different key ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is the only key i have to this vehicle

I have to wonder if there is a problem with the key. If you can get a second key you can see if it will relearn the new key. If you can get a second key try the procedure below.

1. With a previously learned master key, turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Turn OFF the ignition and remove the key.
  3. Within 10 seconds insert the key to be learned. Turn ON the ignition with the engine OFF. The vehicle has now learned the new key.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Getting new key now

Okay, hopefully that will solve your problem.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Wat wires run from the ignition switch to pcm and then from pcm to relay for starting
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The second key is doing the same thing as the first and it is learned as well

Well at this point Im not sure what more I can do from here. I can open the post back up for you if you would like and perhaps someone else has something different to add.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ty i would appreciate that. And ty for ur help

Doing so now

Ron, ASE Certified Technician