Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Buick

Today's problem is that It will do nothing, not even release

Customer Question
the ignition key. Won't even...
Today's problem is that It will do nothing, not even release the ignition key. Won't even begin to mention all of the other problems. They all seem to be related to the constant leaking for the roof into car. We blow out the drainage lines often but still have these issues.
JA: When it comes to this particular vehicle, have flat tires been a problem in the past?
Customer: No
JA: What is the model/year of your Buick?
Customer: 2008 enclave
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We have used a mechanic for most of these issues, but have spent so much we are now having to try to fix it using the internet resources. The last fix was two weeks ago when my husband replaced the amp. Right now was just trying to find a way to get the ignition key released.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: We replaced the battery in June. It was the original.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Buick
8/12/2016
Buick Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Does it seem like they key won't come out because the vehicle can't tell it's in park? Does the vehicle roll like it isn't in park all the way?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No. It will not roll. Nothing happens. No chimes, no lights, nothing only the clock battery is working.

That sounds like either a problem with the ignition switch or with the battery. I've never seen the enclave do that before. No headlights or anything?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It seems to be the battery because once my husband charged it, the car started. We will have to see if it held the charge. It is a new battery (6 weeks) but due to the interior flooding problem, things continue to mess up after a rain. I love the comfort of the car but will get out of it asap and into something reliable.I will keep you posted.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nope, something is draining the battery. It will not start again and in the enclave, if the battery is totally dead, it will not release the key.I will return to the enclave forums as this problem has been mentioned by several owners. Some say the culprit is the Navigation system and others say it is the rear assist. I haven't seen one yet say how to fix it.

The most common cause of a drain on the enclave is water intrusion in the fuse box. It all stems from that water leak you have been fighting. In most cases the fuse box has to be replaced.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I think we solved the issue as it has been holding the charge and starting for the last two days. An online post mentioned that the navigation system gets stuck in a loop and doesn't shut off even though the ignition is off; thus draining the battery. I was also told that parking assist can do the same thing. So we charged it, started it up and I disabled parking assist and turned off the navigation. So far it has been fine.... till next time.

That's strange. I hope it works. Let me know if you need help in the future.

Jared D
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician