Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Car runs fine when cool but get warm and spits and sputters

Customer Question

car runs fine when cool but get warm and spits and sputters then hot and dies wont start
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: coolant fine removed thermostat let cool started ran fine for 10 min then went to give throttle and died again no start
JA: What is the model/year of your Buick?
Customer: 99 regal ls
JA: What year is your Regal?
Customer: 99
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: some leaking around water pump not dripping
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Buick Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** the check engine light on? Does vehicle need to sit for awhile before it starts again? Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no check engine light yes sits awhile before starting and upper radiator hose collapses after started
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like problem is your fuel pump which will not turn on a check engine light and will cause vehicle to shut down once it warms up. You can barrow a fuel pressure tester from your local parts store and check pressure when it will start key on engine off and compare pressure to when it will not start. If pressure is lower during no start this means fuel pump needs to be replaced. This would cost around $400 at a shop.. Let me know if you would like replacement instructions or have other questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
checked that its getting fuel
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Did you actually check fuel pressure during no start?