sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

2005 buick lacrosse low beam headlight reflector melting. :

Customer Question

2005 buick lacrosse low beam headlight reflector melting.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Buick. The Buick Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: 2005 buick lacrosse low beam headlight reflector is melting.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Checked the low beam bulb and found it to be same specks as oem bulb.
JA: Is there anything else the Buick Mechanic should be aware of about your Buick?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Buick Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Buick
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** you tell me if the light seems to be brighter than the other headlamp when they are on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both low beam bulbs are very bright when on. Both left and right reflectors are melting above the bulbs. The right reflector even has a glob of melted plastic extending from top to bottom of reflector.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both bulbs as one spec.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both bulbs are oem spec.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. I have one last question. Do the lights get brighter when the high beams are turned on or do they remain the same?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know and can not readily find out. The car belongs to my son who does not live with me. It would have been nice had you asked this question at the same time as the last question when I still had access to the car.
So let's assume the lights get brighter. What's your solution?
Now let's assume that they do not. What's your solution?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

The only thing that would cause this would be if the high beams are staying on instead of the low beams. The low beams would not get hot enough to do this unless the headlamps are cheap aftermarket ones and not original. If they are original then the high beams are more than likely stuck either due to a bad relay or a bad switch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As stated in my original post, it is the low beam reflectors that are melting. I have no issues with high beam bulbs or reflectors.
Low beam bulbs are not OEM, but are OEM spec, made by Vosla,12v 55w, PN 27078.
Well this was a waste of $5.00.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

From looking at pictures of this bulb online it appears the shape and length of the bulb glass may be the issue. Can you measure from the end of the glass to the mounting flange of the bulb base and let me know what the measurement is?