Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Buick

2006 buick lucern 3.8 runs cold till engine warms up then

Customer Question
2006 buick lucern 3.8 runs...
2006 buick lucern 3.8 runs cold till engine warms up then quits and starter won't crank till cooled off
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Buick
5/27/2016
Buick Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 1 year ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is***** no start do you even hear the starter click? THanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the starter clicks after about 30 minutes it works (cranks the engine) and the engine will run

If starter clicks that most likely means the starter itself has failed. Next step is to monitor power on the two wires going to starter during the problem. They should both show at least 11v when trying to start and case should have good ground. If all 3 test good then replace the starter. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The starter is fine there is some kind of electrical problem the car starts fine when it sits over night and runs how ever after it runs for 10 minutes when it gets warm it quits running and wont restart till it cools down and the starter does the same thing untill the systems cools off the engine won't run

Does engine turn over but not start or not even turn over? Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK here is what happens you start the car in the morning everything seems to be fine after about 10 minutes or so the engine will stop and you can't crank it because of some electrical problem. We don't loose the fuel pump because you can hear that but the crank sensor looses a signal so of course the engine won't restart. And the starter also looses voltage. The solenoid clicks but not enough voltage to crank the engine. This is not the only Buick that seems to do this I've seen others do it too. The Buck Dealer advised to replace the PCM which I did and also re flashed it ( I have the equipment ) and it does the same thing

During problem monitor voltage on starter. Let me know if large wire or small wire have less then 11v when trying to start, also check for good case ground. Depending on what you find will determine our next step. Let me know, thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I still have not resolved the problem. Like I said it starts fine runs till warm then the engine quits and you have to wait 20-30 minutes till it runs again for another 2-3 minutes. It looses some of the inputs to the PCM (replaced by advise from buick) however I believe it's some electrical fault either in the fuse block under the rear seat or the fuse block under the hood. The fuse/relay center under the hood is nothing more than circuit boards soddered and can't be taken apart.

I want to help but without any testing it is going to be close to impossible. I need you to check power at the starter during problem to see if voltage is missing then follow the trail back to problem.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The starter has nothing to do with the engine quitting while driving at random times however the starter motor yes does act up when this happens and the starter solenoid has 11.4 volts on the start side when it act's up but the motor (starter) does not turn over. It kinda acts like a bad battery connection at times but the connections are fine. What has me concerned the most is why the engine just stops running at random times while driving. I've seen this same problem on other Buicks and have been directed to the rear relay center under the seat but I don't see any connection problems but the front relay center under the hood is nothing but circuit boards sodered on top of each other and can't really take it apart to check it. This problms happens only when it get's warm so it's a heat related problem
Buick Mechanic: Ryan Schott,
 replied 1 year ago
Ryan Schott

have you played with your ignition switch at all? When it acts up remove the bezel cover on your steering column and whack the ignition swicht with a screwdriver handle a bunch while holding it to crank, I know that seems ridiculous but try. If nothing there hook up your scan tool and see if you can still talk to all the modules when it occurs.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I will do that ! Buy the way a dealer did replace the ign switch but hell parts these days are not much for quality
Buick Mechanic: Ryan Schott,
 replied 1 year ago

keep me posted, i might have a bit of slow response times over the weekend but i will stay in contact

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok My shop is not working for the weekend so I will test this out on Monday
Ryan Schott
Ryan Schott
Ryan Schott