Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Buick

Buick riviera: I have a 1991 buick Riviera with an ac delco

Customer Question
I have a 1991 buick...
I have a 1991 buick Riviera with an ac delco radio that has the right front speakers inop. I have ohmed them out, swapped them with the left front side and the speakers are not the problem. I am showing 5 plus volts on all the positive speaker leads to the front and rear speakers. I even purchased the same radio from a junk yard and have the same right side speakers inop. Spent way to much time on this minor problem. What am I missing other then maybe both ac delco radios have the same right front channel inop due to defective capacitors?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Buick
4/8/2016
Buick Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 1 year ago
Andrew Martin
Check the wiring in the door jamb? I just had a newer buick the other day with a left speaker inop and the wiring in the door jamb was broken.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will do that as soon as I get back to the car in about 30 plus minutes but I checked the ohms and volts at the speakers both main and sub and and the connector which is under the glove compartment and the values are the same. This in theory would cover anything in between but I will check
Buick Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 1 year ago
Alright
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I had checked ea of the four positive and negative wires that lead to the speakers in the door jam and to the left / right of door jam visually as well as digital meter and all look and read normal. So now I am looking to the left of the electrical connector under the dash by the passenger side. It's getting dark I will have to continue tommorow
Buick Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 1 year ago
Ok, if the wiring from the speaker to that connector is good it probably is the radio.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That's is why I mentioned it in the original question about swapping it out with another head unit in the first place. Seems odd both units would have the same problem
Buick Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 1 year ago
It does seem odd. Have you considered running new wires?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have but it would be easier to run 2 jumpers from the head unit.
Buick Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 1 year ago
Yes it would be.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well it appears that it is the the right front capacitor that is bad on both radios as stated in my original question What are the chances. Nothing else to to do other than solder in a capacitor in one of the radio heads. You did try to help find an alternative so I would like pay something for your effort
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I still have the problem and it clearly is what I suspected in my original question although odd. Anyhow you tried to help and were courteous so I would like to pay something for your efforts what would be fair?
Buick Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 1 year ago
All you have to do is rate me positively, don't worry about tipping at all. Thank you!
Andrew Martin
Andrew Martin
Andrew Martin