Gary
Gary, Buick Technician
Experience:  15 years master GM tech and mater ASE tech
19513769

REPLACE IGNITION LOCK CYLINDER 1998 BUICK LESABRE GOT NEW

Customer Question

REPLACE IGNITION LOCK CYLINDER 1998 BUICK LESABRE GOT NEW KEY FROM GM WITH THE RIGHT CHIP IS THERE A WAY TO RELEARN WITHOUT TAKING IT TO GM DEALER
Category: Buick
Expert:  Roy Belding replied 1 year ago.
good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assist is this the black key with the resistor on the key?? did the lock cylinder have 2 wires to it?? Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
YES AND YES
ok, thanks.there is no re learn for this. if the correct resistor key was used and matched to the old key, which was required, then it should allow starting on its own. no re learn needed. did you take the old key with you to match the resistance??? if you use anything other than the old key resistance, it will not start Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
BROUGHT OLD KEY TO GM THEY MATCHED IT UP CAR WONT TURN OVER
ok, and you connected the harness under the dash back?? how did you determine the cylinder was bad??? were the wires broken?? Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
CONNECTED HARNESS WIRES WERE NOT BROKEN THOUHT I WOULD TRY CYLINDER SINCE NO POWER GETTING TO STARTER OR FUEL PUMP
ok, when the cylinder fails, it usually breaks the wires. so you have another issue. lets start at the beginning. what happened Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
CAR WOULD NOT START SECURITY LIGHT FLASHES WHEN YOU OPEN DOOR IS THAT COMMON
with the key on, does the security light stay blinking or go out??? Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IT GOES OUT HAVE POWER TO RADIO AND HEATER PANEL NO OTHER LIGHTS LIGHT UP WITH KEY ON SUCH AS BRAKE LIGHT CHECK ENGINE LIGHT
ok, thanks first thing I would do is check all fuses in the underhood fuse block with a test light and verify power to all fuses on both sides. the fact that the check engine light is not on tells me either there is no power to the pcm or the pcm has failed Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
BIG FUSES UNDER HOOD ALL HAVE POWER ON BOTH SIDES
big fuses??? what about all the others??? Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THERE ARE ONLY BIG FUSES UNDERHOOD ON FIREWALL
ok, check the one inside
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO POWER TO FUSES 5 6 7 AND 8 ON PASSENGER SIDE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WHAT SHOULD I CHECK NEXT
the power for those fuses comes from the ignition switch. can you check the back of the fuse block for any loose connectors or broken wires??? Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WIRES ALL LOOK LIKE THEY ARE GOOD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I HAVE THE OLD KEY
ok, I would be looking at the ignition switch as the power source that has failed here. without power there thats why it wont start Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IS THERE A WAY TO PUT POWER TO IT TO BY PASS IT FOR TESTING
old key has no effect on anythingyou can put 12 volts to the fuse to test but that does not tell you where the failure is at.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THE 2 WIRES FROM LOCK CYLINDER COULD THEY BE BAKWARDS OR DOESNT THAT MATTER
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I MENTIONED OLD KEY IF YOU THINK WE NEED TO TEST RESISTANCE ON CHIP
no. not the issue at all
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
SMALL WIRES FROM LOCK CYLINDER NOT AN ISSUE
correct. you said you have them connected
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
YES IT DOESNT MATTER WITCH HOLE THEY GO IN
the connector only goes one way
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THE WIRES FROM THE LOCK CYLINDER DID NOT COME WITH A CONNECTOR I HAD TO PUSH THEM INTO THE WHITE PLASTIC CONNECTOR BY THE STEERING COLUMN
they were just loose wires??? did they have pins on the end????
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
YES LOOSE WIRES WITH PINS ON THE END THAT LOCK INTO OLD CONNECTER
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IT CAME FROM GM
did you put pins on it or just insert the wires
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WIRES CAME WITH PINS I REMOVED OLD WIRES AND PINS AND PUSHED THE NEW ONES IN PLACE
ok, good. then you have good connections
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I THINK I DO CAN THOSE WIRES GO EITHER WAY
yes, it is looking for continuity. besides, if they were not correct the security light would stay in which you stated already is not on Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
CAN I PUT POWER TO ANY OF THE IGNITION SWITCH WIRES TO BY PASS IT TO SEE IF IT WILL START I BOUGHT THE CAR WITH THIS PROBLEM
you can power 1 fuse and see if it powers the others as well. you can try it if you like to verify. it should start if it powers up all 4 fuses Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WITCH FUSE 5 6 7 OR 8
pick one and try
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OIL AND TEMP LIGHT CAME ON NONE OF THE GAUGES MOVE AT ALL AND WILL NOT TURN OVER
did it power up all the fuses that did not have power???
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I PUT POWER TO FUSE 5 IT BLOWS FUSE INSTANTLY
ok, then there is a short in the harness somewhere. you have a harness issue between the ignition switch and the fuse block. Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
CAN WE RUN A NEW WIRE IT MIGHT BE HARD TO FIND THE SHORT
yes, you can but the issue is what else is involved in the short. it may be more than just 1 wire Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
YEA I WOULD LIKE TO TRY AND RUN ONE WIRE FIRST
ok, make sure you take the wire that feeds the fuse out of service before attaching the new one to the fuse Royplease dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WITCH WIRE FEEDS THE FUSE
what color are the wires on the fuses??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
FUSE 5,6,7,8 ALL HAVE SMALL PINK WIRES ONE HAS A LARGE PINK WIRE
the small pink wires are the load side not the power side Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
SO CUT THE BIG PINK WIRE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IS THE BIG PINK WIRE THE SAME AS THE BIG PINK WIRE IN THE CONECTOR BY THE STEERING COLUM
there are many big pink wires in the harness. you would need to use an ohm meter to verify it is the same wire Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
DO I CUT THE BIG PINK WIRE AT FUSE BOX
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WOULD THE SHORT BE IN THE IGNITION SWITCH
like I said, you need to verify the wire first no, it would be an open if it was the ignition swiitch. it would not provide power. you have a short to ground
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
VERIFY WHAT WIRE I AM ASKING IF I CUT THE BIG PINK WIRE IS THAT THE ONE THAT FEEDS POWER TO THE FUSES
I cannot see what you are doing. I am going on your input. as I told you there are many pink wires. you need to do continuity checks to be sure you are cutting the correct wires Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO SHIT YOU SAID TO TAKE THE WIRE THAT FEEDS THE FUSE OUT OF SERVICE IS IT THE BIG PINK WIRE GOING TO FUSE NUMBER 6 IN THE BACK OF THE FUSE BOX
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
YOU SHOULD HAVE A WIRING DIAGRAM YOU CALL YOURSELF AN EXPERT
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I DONT THINK I HAVE A SHORT TO GROUND THERE IS NO POWER TO FUSES 5 6 7 8 IN PASSENGER SIDE FUSE BOX
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
new expert here did you still need help ?since the fuses 5 - 8 in the passenger fuse box show NO volts with the key ON can you get to the drivers side fuse box and with the key ON do fuses 1B and 1C show 12 volts at them with the key ON ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I WILL CHECK STILL NEED HELP
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
ok let me know about those other fuses
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1B AND 1C HAVE NO POWER WITH KEY ON
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WAITING FOR SOME HELP
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
im sorry i was out for the dayok can you be sure the fuse called IGN SW in the under hood fuse box a 40 amp big fuse shows 12 volts on both sides of that fuse testing it in place through the little openings in the tops of that big fuse ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THAT FUSE IS GOOD
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
when you changed the ignition lock and had to snap in those 2 wires into the big connector did you disconnect the connector the big one ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
YES
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
ok can you disconnect that big connector and see if any terminals got bent over by accidentthose fuses are powered by that big fuse that shows 12 volts and just the ignition switch switches the power to those small fuses that are deadif it was NOT doing this before that connector was unplugged the odds are one terminal in that big connector is bent over or pulled out
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IT WAS DOING THIS BEFORE THATS WHY I REPLACED IGN LOCK CYLINDER BUT I WILL CHECK IT ANYWAYS
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
ok if it still does this and the terminals are all good in that big connector then the odds are the ignition switch itself is bad not switching the power to those fuses
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
here you go
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
CAN I PUT POWER TO A WIRE ON IGNITION SWITCH TO TEST IT IF SO WITCH WIRE
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
at the ignition switch jump the big red to the pink
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK JUMPED TWO WIRES MORE HAPPENS THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT COMES ON ABS LIGHT AIR BAG ETC. BUT STILL WONT CRANK OVER
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
i would replace the ignition switch nextsince the big red shows 12 volts at the ignition switch and you can jump it at the switch we know atleast the switch is badreplace the switch and see if it will run
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WHY WONT IT CRANK OVER WHEN WIRES ARE JUMPED?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
DO YOU ONLY ANSWER QUESTIONS AT NIGHT
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
i usually am around more so at nights on the week dayif that switch is bad which it is it can also not allow it to send the crank voltagereplace the ignition switch should fix all those issues you are having
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I WILL REPLACE IT AND LET YOU KNOW THANKS FOR NOW
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
sounds goodif you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer