Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. certified
20625509

I am having a huge difficulty trying to get the harmonic

Customer Question

I am having a huge difficulty trying to get the harmonic balancer/crank shaft pulley off. The crank shaft bolt is off. I now have been at it for 2 days and am trying to break the crank shaft pulley/harmonic balancer loose. The rental harmonic balancer removal tool didn't work. It just broke off. Is there any way that I can get this pulley off? What can I do since that the specialty tools won't work?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Buick. The Buick Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I tried the tool that looks like a duck's foot and then tried tying a strap to another car and yanking the pulley. Neither method worked.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Buick Mechanic should know about your Buick?
Customer: that would be it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Buick Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

If not, it's only $10 there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

And it broke? Odd. It broke while turning the bolt? The fine thread hardened bolt? Did you use an impact on it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I used impact and hand. Impact broke it.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

It must have been cheaply made, try another one. I would spray it down too before hand with some penetrating fluid.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

You might even want to try using the tool like when using a pitman arm puller. You tighten down on the hardened fine tooth bolt some, than whack it with a big hammer right on the end of the bolt, tighten it down some more, whack it again and continue like this over and over until it pops loose.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

I want to look up the repair manual on this, what year Buick is this and what model/engine?