Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

The headlights on my 1979 buick electra won't come on i

Customer Question
changed the switch but the...
The headlights on my 1979 buick electra won't come on i changed the switch but the lights turn on in the inside same switch .. is there a fuse or relay that could have been burnt out??
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Buick
3/4/2016
Buick Mechanic: Joe Barfield, Master High-Tech replied 2 years ago
Joe  Barfield
Joe Barfield, Master High-Tech

Hello , so have you tried the dimmer switch , when the headlights are on ?

I'm not getting power to headlights at all i ran a wire to the light source under hood to battery and they came on but other than that I'm not getting power.

Have you put power on the headlight switch plug itself ?

its your dimmer switch part #UDS424 at Auto zone $12.00

Please rate my answer as thats your issue

just run a wire from the battery,7 UNPLUG THE SWITCH...BUT ITS YOUR DIMMER IT WILL KILL THE POWER

I no the switch is good .. because it came out my other car in which I never had this issue.. I used a power source tester and it's showing no power in the lines that run to my lights so I then put a small slit on the wires that run to lights under hood and found one wire that i ran direct to car battery and only then the lights came on

you have to accept call, before I can call you

Accept what call
The dimmer switch is all on one switch .. I twist it left and inside lights come on but when I pull it out to the on position nothing comes on in which the headlights sold turn on but they don't .. now I've paid 36$ and your telling me to do what I've already done before I contacted you. .so please tell me what can be done to fix the issue.. I've replaced switch and still no power comes to the headlights only the lights as for dome and door lights ?

ok, just hit my rate over 3 to 5 then click accept

ok, if that's what you want ill opt-out

Can somebody help me .. head lights won't work.. I've replaced switch and still no power. . I straight wired the main wire source to car battery in which light will come on but no by the switch inside car.. the switch only allows headlight to come on if I have it straight wired to car battery

Ho you say that all I see is a deposit no money paid unless your satisfied

I'm not satisfied because what you've asked me to do isn't working . I did it before I contacted you. . So one or two u can reimburse my deposit or u can tell me why I'm not getting power to my headlights the correct way by pulling the switch out .. but only to receive power to headlights when it's straight wired to car battery
Buick Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It looks like there is a miscommunication here. You appear to have replaced the headlamp switch and the previous expert was discussing the dimmer switch. These are not the same components. If the headlamp switch has been replaced then that leaves wiring issues or the dimmer switch as possible causes.

What was the part number of the switch that you replaced?

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician