Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 1968 skylark keep running after I shut the key off. The…

Customer Question
My 1968 skylark keep running...
My 1968 skylark keep running after I shut the key off. The radio and all accessories also stay on. If I pull the coil wire then everything shuts down. What's wrong?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Buick
2/19/2016
Buick Mechanic: George H., ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician

Hello I will help you with your question,

Have you worked on the starter or replaced it? What is the starter wiring? Two small posts, one large and the connection from the solenoid to the starter motor?

Any work done on the ignition switch wiring?

I have not touched the starter.
I have not touched the ignition wiring either. I did replace the regulator after this happened thinking maybe it shorted out. It did not change anything.

If this is stock then you have two wires to the positive side of the coil and a single wire from the negative side to the points.

One of the positive wires comes from the ignition switch and has power in the run position through a resistor wire. The other comes from the starter motor so the coil has full power when the key is in the start position and the starter is turning the engine.

It sounds like your ignition switch is not removing power from the coil when it moves out of the run position.

Does this sound like what you are seeing with the wires to the coil?

That is exactly what it appears to be.

This is an automatic with the shifter on the column?

IT sounds like the ignition switch is slightly out of adjustment or needs to be replaced. If I remenber you have a rod that runs down the column to the switch from the key switch?

Do you have any issue with the operation of the key? It starts as soon as you turn the key all the way forward and springs back to run by itself with no dragging?

The ignition switch is on the dash not the column. The switch is elf is worn but still seems to function as intended. I will gladly change the switch if I can find one. Do you have any suggestions as to where one might be found?

I think you can get repro switches from Year 1 ?

You can also check car-part.com and maybe there is a yard with some of the old parts. There are a couple of specialists in the desert states.

You might even try NAPA for the electrical part of the switch, it would be in that and not the mechanical part.

Must have been '69 that they changed to the column switch setup.

Please let me know how I can help you with this

Thank you

George H.
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician