Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

How to remove the small storage compartment on drivers side,

Customer Question
How to remove the...

How to remove the small storage compartment on drivers side

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Buick. The Buick Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

My registration and the insurance card went behind the storage unit on drivers side

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Just want to know how to remove the unit so I can get the paperwork out befor it catches on fire

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Buick
2/17/2016
Buick Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Let me see if I can help you. What year and model is your buick?

By storage box you mean the glovebox right?

It is the small storage area on the drivers side NOT the actual glove box
the instrument panel storage compartment
2012 Buick Regal
Are you there Jared?
that is the one

I think the best way to get to your documents would be to pull the panel as shown in that picture. It just pulls straight off without removing and screws or anything. It's hard to say exactly where they went, but you should be able to see them with that panel off. Don't worry about a risk of fire or anything, there isn't any significant heat source back there.

Is this a joke? I am not spending $24 on a phone call

That phone call request is automated. The system does that on it's own. I prefer to communicate here is that is ok with you.

I don't care for the new automatic phone cal request feature that just answer has implemented because what good does it do to talk on the phone when all you really need is a diagram.

Anyhow, if you can't see the documents with the side panel off, you might have to remove the entire lower trim panel. It's not terrible, but not easy either. Here is the procedure for removing it.