Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cant unlock the rear doors on my 1999 buick park ave, my…

Customer Question
Cant unlock the rear...

Cant unlock the rear doors on my 1999 buick park ave

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Buick. The Buick Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

My 1999 buick park ave ultra both rear doors wont unlock from drivers seat or on each door

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Great! What have you tried so far?

Just the unlock buttons

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Buick Mechanic should know about your Buick?

Passenger door only opens from inside

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Buick
2/17/2016
Buick Mechanic: Pete, Buick Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, Buick Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In your rear fuse panel locate the fuse labeled RDM which is a 10 amp fuse.If this fuse is blown this will cause this issue here and this fuse will need replaced.If found blown replace this fuse and see if this resolves the issue here.If the fuse shorts out again this indicates there is either a short in the wiring leading from the fuse to the rear door control module or a short in the wiring leading from the rear door control module to the locks or a lock itself is shorting out needing replaced.I would then disconnect each rear lock one at a time to see if the short goes away when one lock is disconnected.If the short goes away when one lock is disconnected then this is the lock needing replaced.If the short continues then the rear door module needs disconnected.If the short goes away with this module disconnected then this module needs replaced.If the short continues then the short is in the wiring and the wiring will need traced to locate and repair the fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Fuse was good, the rear window would not go up with out fuse in. Put fuse in window would go up. Tried doors outside and in doors would not open.

O.k.,this sounds like a possible fault with the RDM (rear door module) as this controls the rear door locks.This module can fail internally causing this fault here as I have seen several times before with it needing replaced to correct this issue.I would have the signals tested from the RDM with a multi meter to see if for sure this is the cause here and then if found at fault it will need replaced.If you need info on how to test this and you do have a multi meter to do this testing let me know.

Thanks Pete