Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Buick Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

I have a 2002 buick regal 3800 LS when i go to start it cold

Customer Question

I have a 2002 buick regal 3800 LS when i go to start it cold it starts just fine but once it is warmed up and i go to start it it starts for a second then dies I then have to put my foot on the throttle for a bit to keep it running then it will stay running.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Is the check engine light on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I forgot to put that no the light is not on
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

is engine hard to start after refueling?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
occasionally if the outside temp is a lil warmer and its just shut off for a couple minutes it will stay running
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Warm the engine up to where you would normally have a problem starting the engine. Unplug the mass airflow sensor and try starting the engine. Does the engine stay runnning on its own?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I ran the engine and then let it cool down a little bit unplugged the mass air flow sensor and it started and stayed running
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Try repeating just to be sure. If the same thing occurs, replace the mass airflow sensor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car also sometimes when I am turning And braking can hear a noise in the front like the abs motor and when I get stopped sometimes the abs light comes on
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

This is a common issue. Check for breakage in the wires going to the front abs wheel speed sensors. The wires flex each time the suspension moves or the wheels are turned. Eventually these wires break inside the insulation giving an intermittent fault. Front wheel speed sensor harnesses are available from most auto parts stores.

If the harnesses are okay then you may have a sensor dropping out at low speeds. If this is the case then the front wheel bearing (hub) would need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This car has also been turning the check engine light on off and on for a code PO172 intermintently my code reader says its for system too rich (bank 1 )
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Did you already replace the mass airflow sensor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did and it took care of the starting issue
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Was the P0172 code present before replacing the mass airflow sensor as well?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think it had came on once or twice
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Pull the vacuum line from the fuel pressure regulator (on fuel injector rail) Check for fuel in the vacuum line or in the port on the regulator. If fuel is present there, replace the fuel pressure regulator.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I changed the fuel pressure regulator just a couple months ago and I looked at it the other day as well no fuel in the line or the regulator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was wondering if you came up with anything else that you thought might be giving me this problem
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

If air filter is clean and fuel pressure regulator is not leaking and problem was present with the old mass airflow sensor then looks like you may have a leaking injector. Try running some injector cleaner in the gas tank and see if this makes a difference. Add a whole can to 1/4 tank of fuel ( so the cleaner does not get too diluted ) and run it through the engine for a few days to see if this makes a difference.