Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

1997 park Avenue I recently had a pin hole leak in my fuel…

Customer Question
I recently had a pin...
I recently had a pin hole leak in my fuel line
So I cut the bad area off and spliced it back together
With what I thought was fuel line /but was vacuum line
Car started right up...so I went for a drive to store .
Well when trying to start /line blew off and gas went everywhere.
Then had car towed hm. Repaired with fuel line and clamps.
Now car won't crank /start ?????? Help
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Buick
1/31/2016
Buick Mechanic: Virtual Wrench, Buick Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Buick Mechanic

Sounds like the fuel pump might have took a dive.

Can you get a hold of a fuel pressure gauge and connect it to the fuel test port on the fuel rail and tell me what the fuel pressure is when trying to start it please?

p.s. most parts stores will loan you a gauge for free with a deposit.

Let me know please.

LJ

Is there any other way?
If not, I'll have to go to part store ,and get one.
Let me know. And I'll run do that

We actually need an exact pressure reading because the pump can still pump gas but the injectors require a high pressure to operate and it will fool you if you just notice there is gas coming out of the test port because it probably isnt high enough pressure. It really is necessary to test it with a gauge. I will be around all day so just get back to me if you can get a pressure reading.

Larry

Advance auto and Autozone have a free loan-a-tool program and i think Orilleys does also.

Ok thank you.
And I'll get back to you Asap

Okie Dokie

sir,did test and it read 55.
I wanted to add,when I turn ignition forward. All lights on panel come on.
Like normal. But ,there is a clicking,
IN fuse panel (in back seat)which says
RAP RELAY. AND CLICKING BEHIND GLOVE COMPARTMENT,ALSO IGNITION RELAY UNDER HOOD BY BATTERY

If it has 55 psi when cranking it to start thats enough fuel pressure but not much lower.

Your last reply confuses me.

Does the starter engage and turn the engine or is it just clicking when trying to start it??

Engine does not crank/or start. The clicking occurs when ignition is turned forward /in the cranking position

How did you get the fuel pressure if it doesnt crank?

Do you have a volt meter. If so connect it to the battery and tell me the volts when the key is in the cranking position.

I told you,in my first text car NOT Cranking /NOT Starting.
You told me to go to my local part store & get a OEM FUEL PRESSURE TESTER
AND TO GIVE YOU THE READING. WHEN KEY WAS TURNED FORWARD IN START POSITION

I see,

I dont know how a fuel leak could cause the "no crank" condition. I though the starter would engage and spin the engine but it would not start. We will need a volt meter and start with the battery voltage drop test when trying to start it. Hook up the meter to the battery and tell me what the voltage drops to when trying to start it. We have to start there and work our way to the starter first.

Ok! But its late. Will have to get back wit. h. you tomorrow ...

Have you had a chance to check that voltage yet? No hurry on my end, just wanted to check in with you.