Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2000 Buick Park Ave 3.8 vin k the the oil pressure…

Customer Question
I have a 2000 Buick...
I have a 2000 Buick Park Ave 3.8 vin k the the oil pressure reading on the dash will drop to 0 momentarily then come back to 65psi. With the scanner hooked up to the car, it will also show the same drop and recovery. Replaced oil pressure sensor already and no change.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Buick
1/30/2016
Buick Mechanic: Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer, and ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.

My immediate suspect would be that the regulator spring is broken or valve is sticking.

What is your mechanical ability?

Shop owner and wrenching for about 30 years

The pressure regulator is in timing cover. If you remove the oil filter adapter the spring and valve should come out

The adapter has 3 bolts and the pressure sensor screws into it correct?

The adapter has more than 3 bolts. 4 I think. Yes pressure sensor screws into it

ok. Will tomorrow am and advise what I find.

OK. Please don't forget to leave a rating. It is possible the front cover may need to be removed as there could be damage to the oil pump. The regulator would be my first place to look though.

Pulled the mount off and the spring is in 1 piece and the "cap" looks intact also.

The either the pump is shot or the engine has an internal leak

Do you have any pics or measurements of what the spine should be?

I dont understand question.

To make sure the spring hasn't broken and left a piece in the block, what should the length be of the spring be?

If the regulator valve pushed out of cover I doubt the spring is broken. Usually the regulator sticks in bore or oil pump itself has failed. Here is a video of inspection https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9wox84Um0I

Is the firebird 3.8 the same and the park ave 3.8?

yes

Tool Hut
Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician