Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Problem with car? front passenger side tire makes a rubbing…

Customer Question
Problem with car? front...
Problem with car? front passenger side tire makes a rubbing and grinding or thud noise when turning left. No problem stopping and no other problem steering. On inspection CV boot has evidence of seeping of grease or other liquid showing evidence of problems. Driver side front tire does not have show same problem. What type of situation could this establish, and is this a positive do not drive car advise.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Buick
1/24/2016
Buick Mechanic: Pete, Buick Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, Buick Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

It sounds like your cv boot either ripped at one area on it and lost all or most of its grease and caused the cv joint to fail in the axle shaft here.I have seen this occur before and had to either have the cv joint replaced in the axle shaft or the complete axle replaced.When the cv joint starts to fail it can cause the noise you have here when turning sharp in one direction or the other as it flexes and is pulled and pushed on when turning.If you continue to drive it this way it may fail eventually causing no engagement to the wheel and may leave you stranded.I dont recommend driving it like this here until this is repaired.

In some cases it is cheaper to just have the entire axles replaced instead of the cv joint.You would want to get estimates to see which is cheaper.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete