Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cks
, I have a 1995 Buck Riviera. Having multi problems…

Customer Question
***** ***** Hicks ...

***** ***** Hicks

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I have a 1995 Buck Riviera. Having multi problems with the Air Conditioning and heating system. So far Have replaced the main Climate Control, AC/Heater Unit PN 16150374. And right & left control adapters. The only place I get reliable heat is through duct between seats to the back seat.

Mechanic's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Buick Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Yes

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Buick
This is what was going on this morning. Ambient Temp 40 degrees: Running on Auto: ***** ***** at 60 degrees--Heat from two long ctr. vents. No air from round Ctr vents & R/H (4) round vents. Heat from (2) driver door vents. Cool air from ctr vent to back seat
Additional info when : Ambient temp 40 degrees: Running on Auto: ***** ***** a 90 degrees: No air from any front vent. Good heat from center duct to back seat.
I understand that there is supposed to be a third actuator on RH side of car. I looked for it. Could it be in the ducting near the fan motor?
1/21/2016
Buick Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Can you start first with checking to see if both heater hoses are nice and hot at the firewall with the engine running and at normal engine temp. If so then before we try anything else, try resetting the system, to do this remove the negative battery cable for a few minutes . After doing so , reinstall the cable and see if normal air flow returns. Let me know and we can work from there.

Hoses are hot, but not as hot as at the engine. I did the reset. Don't see any difference.. I noticed from origional post that I said I had replaced left & right adapters... I replaced left and right actuators.. not adapters.

Both hose need to be to hot to hold if you have good flow through the core.

I will have system cleaned out and back flushed. Will get back to you on this thread.I do not want to. Call.

That would be a good place to start and when doing so make sure the cooling system is full and has no trapped air.

OK, Will do it. Thank you.

Your very welcome and thank you as well

Hello Ron,I drained the system ran a flush for around 3 hours. Then back flushed and drained system and installed new coolant. Hose's are too hot to hold on to at the firewall.I now have lots of heat.Sometimes I have heat coming out at the two center round vents, and cool air coming out of back seat vent and drivers door. vent.

I would suspect you have a control issue to the rear vents. Unfortunately Im not very sure I can diagnose this from here.

I don't want to talk on a phone. I don't speak well and need a record of what I need to do next. Tell me what to do and I will do it and get back to you.

Unfortunately I am not going to be able to diagnose this for you from here. This is going to require some hands on testing. I will open the post back up for you and if another expert has something different to offer they will respond back.

Buick Mechanic: Pete, Buick Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, Buick Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Do you still need help with this here?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

I still need help. Did you read my prior posts? I have changed actuators on passenger side and drivers side. I can hear the one on passengers side working. Possible that drivers side is not right. Also I have read a post that said that there is a third actuator. I have not located it. I need to head for work...so will take this up when I get home tonight or tomorrow. Let me know what you think, or what you would like me to do.Thanks Dennis

Was the under dash HVAC programmer replaced at all?

I replaced it. The old one on auto, would not turn fan on & had light out on temperature adjustment. It now turns fan on when temp. is high enough.

I apologize for the delay as I had to run out for several errands yesterday and couldnt make it back here.

Does your model display the outside/ambient temp and if it does what does this temp read?

It reads I 47 degrees

O.k.,your model uses an in car temp sensor and two solar sensors to help regulate what temp the air blows out.If the in car temp sensor or one of the solar sensors is sending an incorrect signal this will cause this fault here.Unfortunately after searching my info and the web I am unable to locate the exact location of these.Usually the solar sensors are top of the dash near the defrost duct and the in car temp sensor is placed at the heater vent or dash vents inside the vent housing.If you can locate these sensors unplug one of these at a time and see if the system starts to operate properly.If it does then the sensor that was unplugged needs replaced.I suspect with all that has been done here one of these sensors is the cause needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

There are (3) sensors in defrost grill. Two are like a light bulb, and black. The third one is brown and flat. I bet the two black are the solar sensors. The ambient temperature sensor is reading correctly. Do the sensors unplug by pulling out. Or turning?
Thank you. You will be getting highest rated credit.

The two like a bulb in defrost grill are the light sensors.My info isnt showing exactly how these remove.In some cases the defrost grille removes and then they twist out of place in almost all cases.There should also be an inside ambient sensor out of one of the vent or heater ducts that can cause this as well.Try unplugging these and see if the fault continues or if when one is unplugged the fault is no longer present as this would be the one needing replaced.

Thanks Pete

Do you think that unplugging the harness that has the two solar sensors and headlight sensor on it will do the trick? That's all that is on that harness!

Yes you can try this and see how it operates then.

OK thanksDennis

Your welcome.Let me know if you need anything else here and feel free to rate my help.

Thanks Pete

Hello Pete,
Unplugged both solar sensors. Managed to get ambient sensor in car unplugged today. (had take face off dash to get at it.)
This didn't have any effect at all.I could give you a blow by blow list of what is happening with each manual selection of heater and AC control?

I apologize for the delay.The web site is having some issues and our previous conversation is not showing up here.Can you possibly re post what we have covered on this already or what has been done already.If not let me know and I can contact support to see if I can get this info,thanks Pete.

No, I apologize to you. I sent to you from my computer. This thread is from my phone. Should have all prior information

Unfortunately the web site has some issues here and this is a known issue,the info still isnt showing up for me here.Let me send this in for them to correct this and I will get back to you as soon as I hear back from them if this is o.k. with you.

Thanks Pete

OK

I have sent this in just waiting for the fix then I will post back.No need to reply until then.

Thanks Pete

O.k.,I was able to get the info from the web site here on our previous conversations.I have all the info now.Did you still need help with this here?

Starting at your reply on January 31, I unplugged two solar sensors and ambient temperature sensor. That had no effect.

Was the heater core hoses checked to make sure they are both very warm to hot to the touch with the engine warmed up and heater on or is one allot cooler then the other?

The heater core hoses were checked also complete system was backflushed and you can't even hang on to those hoses anymore there was a problem originally but they're good now

Unfortunately this is a tough one for me to answer myself here with all that has been done.I have to let someone else here try and see if they can help further.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete