gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW Technician, VW FastTrack, VW Academy, VW Certified
12249065

My name is ***** *****, how are you! the problem i have this

Customer Question

Customer: my name is ***** ***** , how are you ! the problem i have this morning is that my right rear door won't open from either side . what can i do
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I HAVE A 2006 BUICK LUCERNE
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $24) to post your type of question to Car Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: YES , THANK YOU !
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Buick
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

What happens is that the pivot point that presses on the lever for the latch breaks off on the handle. If you have the child lock engaged on the rear doors, i will not allow you to open the door from inside, but the outer handle is broken.

You will need to replace the handle, and it will need to be painted body color, so I would get the part first and have it painted before disassembly.

You will then have to remove the inner door trim panel in order to access the inside of the door, and pull on the rod that normally connects to the outside handle in order to open the door- then you can remove the three 10mm head screws that hold the handle on, install the new one, and connect the rod to the new handle.

Sadly, I've had a customer come in with one handle broken on 4 different occasions over the last year- so now they have 4 new handles!