Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Buick Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

Pete, When I fill the fuel tank my 2000 Buick LeSabre

Customer Question

Pete, When I fill the fuel tank my 2000 Buick LeSabre Limited runs fine for a few minutes than starts to stall. It usually starts back up and runs fine after a while. However, the problemis getting worse and the car is starting to be harder to start and stalls multiple times.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Does this only occur after filling the fuel tank?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
at first only after I fill the tank. Lately it has been stalling and sputtering almost everytime I drive it. So far it hasn't quit completely.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

The problem you are experiencing when refilling the tank is typically due to a faulty evap purge solenoid located on back side of intake manifold. Replacing this should fix your problem. See attached image.

If you continue to experience problems with stalling and sputtering at times when not filling the tank, try unplugging the MAF. If the problem seems to go away, replace the MAF.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dave, I replaced the evap purge solenoid. When I filled up the tank this morning the car did the exact same thing. Any other suggestions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dave, I replaced the MAF but the car still stalls when I fill the tank.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Is the check engine light on with the engine running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the check engine light is always on now.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Have you had the codes checked? If so, what are the code numbers?

If you have not yet checked codes, any auto parts store can do this for you. Let me know what the codes are and we can go from there.