Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Buick

Just installed a new rack and PS pump on my 1999 Buick Regal

Customer Question
SC and still no power...
Just installed a new rack and PS pump on my 1999 Buick Regal SC and still no power steering. The old rack was toast.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Buick
11/14/2015
Buick Mechanic: Jeromy Madison,
 replied 2 years ago
Jeromy Madison

Did you flush the PS lines? Did you bleed the air out of the lines after re-installing?

We just finished disconnecting the return line and running it that way to see if there was any air in the return line. I am wondering if we should disconnect the pressure line from the rack and see if there is air in that line. The power steering turns its just stiff. Would the electrical lines have anything to do with it>
Buick Mechanic: Jeromy Madison,
 replied 2 years ago

The electric lines just tell the ecm that it is being used so it will increase the rpms. If you can raise the front wheels off the ground and with the engine not running turn the steering wheel front lock to lock slowly about a dozen times.

Should I reconnect the return line first?
Buick Mechanic: Jeromy Madison,
 replied 2 years ago

Yes. Connect everything up how it should be first.

Buick Mechanic: Jeromy Madison,
 replied 2 years ago

You should see air bubbles in the reservoir. Continue to keep it filled.

Very difficult to see the reservoir. Its at the back of the engine buried. It seems like the steering is stiffer once I turn it on and turn it. I turn it back and forth while it was off and then started it and it is still stiff.
Buick Mechanic: Jeromy Madison,
 replied 2 years ago

You are not suppose to run the power steering pump until you bleed the air out of the lines, by turning the wheel back and forth like I was describing, because you can burn it up if there is not fluid in it. You will need to be able to see if you there are any air bubbles.

turning it back and forth we saw the bubbles coming up but no longer and it is still stiff. Interesting thing when I accelerate the steering turns easy to the left and hard on the return to the right.
The level on the reservoir is staying level. It got low after turning the wheel while not running.
Buick Mechanic: Jeromy Madison,
 replied 2 years ago

Ok. After there are no longer any bubbles you can start the engine and turn the wheel from side to side, but keep watching the reservoir so that it does not run out of fluid.

When my son and I installed it we made sure to turn it back and forth without the engine running we turned it forty times as per the installation instructions. We then started it and it was stiff and has been.The only issue was that when we initially bleed it b y dry turning we left the cap on the power steering pump. My son said that the instructions said to leave the cap off.
Buick Mechanic: Jeromy Madison,
 replied 2 years ago

The reason to keep the cap off is to be able to watch the level. It should not have caused an issue.

Ok. Still stiff. I was wondering if he should driving it for a few days and see if that works out any air?
Buick Mechanic: Jeromy Madison,
 replied 2 years ago

I could not recommend that, it would be dangerous to drive it without power steering.

Sometimes it takes a while to get the air out. Is the fluid foamy?

Thanks,

Jeromy

My son said it looked milky
Buick Mechanic: Jeromy Madison,
 replied 2 years ago

Let it sit for a while (couple hours) to let the air bubbles go out.

Ok we will give it a go and see what happens.
Buick Mechanic: Jeromy Madison,
 replied 2 years ago

Ok, let me know.

Thanks.

Jeromy Madison
Jeromy Madison
Jeromy Madison