Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Myis crazy! gas gauge goes to the full reading when there is

Customer Question

my*****is crazy! gas gauge goes to the full reading when there is no gas in it and now the gauge that tells when your car is over heating has completely dead it dont even move, just as now the speedometer and the RPM gauge went completely dead today! it seems to be some how related to when the battery died or weakend is when half the guages stopped! please HELP ME FIX THIS CRAZY CAR!
Category: Buick
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** would mean the instrument cluster/gauge assembly is failing. You can disconnect battery and touch cables together for 10 seconds with battery disconnected and sometimes this will reset the cluster. If that doesn't help it will need to be replaced. This is about a $400 job at dealership, your other option is to buy a used cluster with similiar mileage and install yourself, this would cost around $100. Let me know if you have more questions or would like replacement instructions. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was told we cant disconnect the battery because it will mess up my security alarm on the car1
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

No it will not, you will be fine. Let me know how it goes, thanks.