Pete, Buick Technician
Experience:  17 years Buick Technician experience and training.
14928985

What would cause a 2006 Buick Renault to have intermittent

Customer Question

What would cause a 2006 Buick Renault to have intermittent cranking or starting? can drive car somewhere then, try to crank, & it want. It has alternator & fuel pump replaced.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help with this today.I apologize for any delay.

If the starter is not engaging to crank over the engine with this issue here this can be due to a fault with the starter solenoid itself or an issue with the start/crank relay.I have seen the solenoid and/or relay act up like this before in the past with the starter assembly with solenoid replaced or relay replacement done to correct this issue here.I do not see a Renault as an option for Buick in the US but the starting system is usually the same on all models.The ignition switch sends a signal which then the computer energizes a crank or start relay which then this relay activates the starter.

The starting/cranking circuit needs tested to pinpoint which of these components are the cause here.In some cases the electronic ignition switch can fail to send a start signal as well.All of these do need tested to confirm which is the cause here.This is usually done with a multi meter to test the electrical signals and in some cases a scan tool to observe the crank signal to pinpoint the cause.Most common is the relay or start in most cases.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.