Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Buick

O8 Lucerne fuel pump relay out replaced it burned out 20

Customer Question
o8 Lucerne fuel pump relay...
o8 Lucerne fuel pump relay burnt out replaced it burned out 20 miles later replaced fuel pump module with AC delco fuel pump module relay burnt again in about 20 miles fuse box looked ok should I replace it or check for some other problem
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Buick
9/3/2015
Buick Mechanic: Gary, Buick Technician replied 2 years ago
Gary
Gary, Buick Technician

I am sorry your having this problem

will one of the terminals on the relay physically be brown or burnt or have black marks on it when this happens ?

terminal 87 will be smoky brown on side of relay and bottom of relay alittle black

the only thing that will cause that kind of heat is high resistance and high resitance is caused by a bad connection

remove the relay and the terminal in the box the relay plugs into take something like a small dentist pick or something like that and tweak over the terminal center in the box so it is just about closed off visually

do that to all 4 terminals so you know for a fact when a new relay is plugged in all 4 are making a good connection and that should correct this issue

the brown colored is the bad connection of the terminals which will cause this problem

if by an odd chance you can not get the terminal closed off enough or it still will not make good contact and or does this again you will need to replace the fuse box to correct this problem

but most can be fixed by tweaking over the center of the female terminals in the box

I drilled out the 3 retaining nuts and opened it crimped the connectors with needle nose plyers . but still getting relay burtnout

if it still is doing this the box has to be changed

the witness marks on # ***** terminal is the terminal or connection issue since the source of a bad connection causing too much heat is the burn / black or brown marks

Ok thanks gary ill change it just want to be sure the want another part being the culprit!

nothing else can be

let me know how you make out

you can always get me back through this post anytime for free with any follow up with this question even after you rate us here at Justanswer !

how are you making out ?

dont forget to rate us here at Justanswer !

Gary
Gary
Gary, Buick Technician