rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

I have a 2002 Buick Park Avenue. While we were driving, both

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Buick Park Avenue. While we were driving, both the Security and Service Vehicle Soon lights came on and the shift indicator bar went out. When we got home we turned the car off. It has not started since then. The Security light does not come on when we turn the key. The doors lock when the key is turned. We are unsure if this is security system related or if the car is "stuck" in drive even though the shifter is in park. Any thoughts on how we can get it started to drive it in for service? We can't even do the turn the key to on and wait for the security light to go out tip as the light does not go on. The car has a brand new battery.
Category: Buick
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I'm Ron and I will help you. First off, try a different key if you have one. You stated that you want to drive it to a service facility, but that may not be possible due to the fact that there are many items to check including service codes in the controllers. It may need to be towed in, unless you want to try some other things on your own which may require special tools. Please let me know what you want to do. I can do this either way.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. Unfortunately, we bought the car used and it only came with one key. I should have mentioned that before. What kind of special tools would we need? We have some and can be handy, but most of our tools are pretty standard.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 2 years ago.

Scanners that attach to the cars computer system is the first ones. There's a strong possibility that it is the key. If there's any chance of getting another one made, that would be the easiest and least expensive way to go right now. A locksmith can do this for you. Hope this helps.Let me know, and I can still assist you after you have rated me.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay thanks. We'll have to get a new key at the dealership as far as I know. We'll give that a shot first. I appreciate the help. While the situation is not ideal, you confirmed what we were thinking already. Thanks! Have a great day!
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 2 years ago.

Good deal, please keep me posted and thanks for the rating.

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 2 years ago.

I couldn't help but notice that you have other questions you have used JA for and have not rated them yet. In order for me to get credit for my time with you, it is necessary for you to give me a good rating. Please take a minute to do that for me.

Thanks again, Ron