Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Buick

Thanks in advance. My 1990 Buick LeSabre has a similar

Customer Question
Hi and thanks in advance...
Hi and thanks in advance. My 1990 Buick LeSabre has a similar problem. The dash lights are out the tail lights don't work, the turn signals are a bit slow, but all else works okay. I checked all fuses, but can't late one foe only the dash and only the taillights. I pull a small boat trailer .Now some of the trailer lights a not working correctly.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Buick
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/19/2015
Buick Mechanic: jazzmaster, ASE Certified Tech replied 2 years ago
jazzmaster
jazzmaster, ASE Certified Tech

did you put a trailer wiring harness on ?

or did it have one already on (after market type ?

It came wired, but I found a few frays in the wire that cold have shorted it to on the trailer and repaired them.. I bought an entire new light set for the trailer to eliminate that part of the proble.
Do you suppose that it I replace all old wiring hame solve the problem?

if the harness looks bad and the wiring was frayed ,yes replace it -that may be the issue with the blinkers being slow .

did you check all the fuses both inside the vehicle and the ones under the hood .

here is a wiring diagram for your vehicle .

it doesn't show what all the fuses are for but it may help you trace down some things

usually in gm's its a grey wire for dash lights that supplies the voltage

I would start out checking all the fuses -as this is what I normally do -in case there are fuses that are bad that you didn't know about .

from what I can see in this diagram is that there is one wire that appears to go from the under the hood fuses to the interior fuse box .

usually the dash lights are on a lower amp fuse -most times a 5 or 7.5 amp fuse .

I would replace the trailer wiring too..

check for voltage on the grey wire at the interior light dimmer switch and the orange wire should be hot

the grey wire should show voltage and decrease when you use the dimmer to dim the dash lights

as an added note when there is a bad bulb or filament in one of the bulbs the signals usually flash quicker

when they go slow it's usually a ground issue -so replacing the trailer wiring should help that ..

it's getting late here so we can continue tomorrow ,in the mean time check the diagram and all the fuses and change the trailer wiring thank you ..jazzmaster ..

I have purchased new trailer lights for installation next weekend. I located the fuses under the dash on the left and the few behind the glovebox.I di not know where other fused ae located....under the hood.
I was looking and remember that there isn't one under the hood .
that relay box is in the vehicle ,that contains a few fuses .
did you check all of them ?

If I helped you ,please rate me positive .

and we can go on if needed..

I don't receive credit otherwise ..thank you ..

...jazzmaster ...

jazzmaster
jazzmaster
jazzmaster, ASE Certified Tech