Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

I have a 1996 Buick Century custom with the 3.1 and four

Customer Question

I have a 1996 Buick Century custom with the 3.1 and four speed auto trans. I just replaced the trans with one from LKQ and the speedometer is not working. It also is not shifting correctly and after it finally shifts out of first the ck engine lite comes on and it goes into limp mode. I have replaced the VSS with a new one, replaced the pcm with a remaned. one flashed to my VIN, and the wires from the VSS have continuity with the corresponding pins on the pcm pig tail. I'm out of ideas.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 2 years ago.

Hi, My Name is***** have over 20 years experience repairing vehicles. I am a ASE Certified Master Auto Technician. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating please let me know.

Are you confident you got all of the ground wires connected properly?

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 2 years ago.

Aslo was the trans the same part number as the one you took out? In 96 they had electric speedo and mechanical

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 2 years ago.

It is a good possibility that the gear inside trans is not spinning. Remove the cover and inspect.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry I have not had time to check the things you suggested. I will wring out grounds and check the gear this evening and get back to you.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 2 years ago.

Just let me know