Gary
Gary, Buick Technician
Experience:  15 years master GM tech and mater ASE tech
19513769

Buick century: we are having an ac problem with a 95 buick

Customer Question

we are having an ac problem with a 95 buick century. the blower stops working after about 2 hours of driving. someone suggested it could be a limit control switch.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry for the long waitwill the blower motor itself stop physically blowing the air or the air just gets warm when it acts up ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes after a couple hours driving the blower motor stops working.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
usually when just the blower motor itself stops working it is caused by the blower motor itself or the blower motor resistor assembly and very rare but missing power to the blower from something like the ignition switchcan you get it to not work and when the car is on and the blower set to high if you tap on or wiggle the connections at the blower motor or the resistor will it run back on ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can try where is the resistor located?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
under the hood as seen in this pictureif it still does not come on by doing that then a multi meter or atleast test light is needed to see if the blower motor has power to one terminal and the other wire a good ground at the blower motor if it does then the blower motor is bad
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I drove the car. It is definately not the blower motor. I can hear it running strong. As the the vehicle is driven the air coming out gradually becomes less and less.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
at this point the odds are the evaporator core is more than likely freezing up causing this issue or there is debris partially blocking the evaporator core finsthe next step would be to remove and check and see if it is freezing up or has any debris or oil residue on it which would cause this issue expecialy if you see damp oil it will attract dust over time and partially block the fins on the evaporator core which just replacing the evaporator core should correct all 3 of those conditions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I remove and check the evap core?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
you need to remove the evap case ass seen here to access it