FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

Buick Rendezvous CXL: , I own a 2006 Buick Rendezvous.

Customer Question

I own a 2006 Buick Rendezvous. 2wd 3.5. I have recently changer the high pressure power steering line (hole in the line), Power steering pump, alternator, tensioner, and idler pulleys. Everything was covered in power steering fluid. Before I changed all of that, there was grinding/whistling sound seemingly coming from the drive belt area. Only while accelerating. The good news, no more leaks. The bad new's, I can still hear that sound. It doesn't seem to be coming from the water pump. I revved the motor to 2000 RPM while in park. When I first step on the gas I can hear it but when it hit's higher rpm it doesn't make the noise. Do you have any idea where i should start looking?
Category: Buick
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Also im having a problem starting sometimes. I have to hold the gas down to get it to start and it idles a little rough.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. Most of the time this comes from the water pump or possibly the timing chain. It is really common for the timing chain to do this if it is stretched or worn out. Does it change as the engine warms up?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It really doesn't change as the engine warms up. I hoping that could mean it is not the timing chain and is in fact the water pump. Could it possibly be a heat shield or is that more of a rattle?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 years ago.
A heat shield would be more of a rattle. I would pull the engine drive belt and drive it really quick. The battery will hold a charge for a period of time and it will not over heat right away. See if it makes the noise without the belt. That will help you isolate whether it is from one of the engine pulleys or from the timing chain area.