Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

Buick Regal GS: My 2001 Buick regal's ac was working fine,then

Customer Question

My 2001 Buick regal's ac was working fine,then sporadically and now not at all.I can't hear it turn on at all anymore and I live in Tucson.Help!
Category: Buick
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello
1st thing to check is that the AC rad / condenser is clear of any debris and there's nothing in front of the air flow to it, next ensure that the AC pump drive belt isn't slipping and if any doubt replace it.
Also check that if there's a pollen filter to the cabin air inlet that this is clean and free flowing
Next you can test components simply by checking the temperatures by touching them with the system running. with the engine at operating temperature and the AC turned on it should be as follows:
A hot compressor / pump
A hot high pressure refrigerant line from the compressor to the condenser
A hot condenser on the inlet
A warm condenser on the outlet
A warm liquid line from the condenser to the evaporator (before the expansion valve or orifice tube)
A cold evaporator outlet line
A cold low pressure refrigerant line to the compressor
If you get a different result from the above then suspect a blockage in the line or the component whose temperature is abnormal, this can be confirmed with a pressure test
Then if you're happy the temperature control is OK ( does it do hot as well as cold?) I'd take the car to an garage that can read the pressure levels of the system so the level of gas can be checked hopefully all it needs is a re-gas