FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

Buick Park Avenue Ultra: I have a 2001 buick park avenue thats

Customer Question

I have a 2001 buick park avenue thats supercharged. It has 200k on it now. When I start it hot, after its been sitting for awhile, it will idle rough for a few seconds - increase its rpm to maybe 1200 then settle down to idling smooth at 650. It may also miss as you start to drive it for a few more minutes, but then runs and idles fine from that point on all day. But if its stopped again and allowed to sit for 1/2 hr or more, it will do this all over again. I've had it in a shop where they smoke tested it and checked the electrical/ignition system, which they said was ok. They also said the fuel pressure was ok too. But they felt the injectors were to blame, so I replaced them with rebuilt ones. I replaced the fuel filter at the same time, but I noticed that there was a lot of black stuff coming out when I removed it. So then I began to suspect that the fuel pressure regulator may be at fault, even though they said the pressure was ok. So I pulled the vacuum line off it for 5 minutes, but it did not leak. The car has been throwing a lean burn code for bank 1 (P0171) since this idling/stumbling problem started.
A month before this idling problem occurred I had a P0102 code, so I replaced the MAF with a new one. Now I get a P0101 code which again is for the MAF. Any thoughts?
Category: Buick
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** for the question. If I am not online when you return please give me some time to get back to you. From what you are explaining this is typically always a leaking lower intake manifold gasket. This will allow air into the engine giving it a lean code as well as false MAF sensor codes. I would recommend that this be checked and replaced.