Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Buick LeSabre Custom: , I replaced the ignition cylinder…

Customer Question
Hello, I replaced the ignition...
Hello, I replaced the ignition cylinder in my 97 Buick Lesabre, I took the patent key that came with the new cylinder to a Chevy dealer and had them make a new key with the correct resistance code, which is 10. I went home and tried the new key, dash light come on but engine does not turn over. I did some research and found out that the system needs to be reset by turning the key to on as if you are trying to start the car. The security light flashes and you are to leave it like this for about 10 minutes till the security light stays on then you repeat the procedure two more times with turning the key off for 5 seconds between each time. The first time II tried this the security light stopped flashing all three times on the third time I tried starting the car without turning the key off and it would not turn over. I did more research and found out that I should have turned the key off before trying to start the car. I have been trying the process all over again but now the security light will not stop flashing at all. I disconnected the battery for half an hour and reconnected it but that did not help either. HELP!!!
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Buick
6/4/2015
Buick Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
Before you try the re-learn again, disconnect the negative battery cable for a few minutes to clear the system. Once you have done so, follow the steps in the link below exactly as written and this should resolve the problem you are having. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view the steps.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Key%20relearn%20Jun%204.pdf
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Please consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 5AM eastern time and work all day . A rating is required. Your rating me , and what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor do I have control over the fees or the time it takes to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all ,you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short
Thank you, Ron
Hello Ron,
I pulled the negative battery cable from the battery for about 15 minutes and, re-installed it, then put the key in the ignition and turned it for the first cycle of the three needed to re-program the key. The dash lights came on and the security light has been flashing for 20 minutes now. The first time I tried this process the security light went solid on each of the three times but I made the mistake of trying to start the car without turning the key off after the third time.
I am wondering if the may have gave you a bad key. I would take the key back and have them check it. If the key is okay it really should take the programming by following the steps.
I'm not sure how a key can be bad, but I tested the resistance with an ohm meter and it was 3740, which is a code 10 key resistance, which is also what the original key measured.
The 10 should be the correct Key. If you don't think its a problem with the key then there has to be a problem with either the programming or the Alarm system its self. The next steps would be to have the system scanned and see what fault code is setting.
What gets me is that the first time I tried to do this with the new key, everything worked as as far as the programming, the mistake I made was that I didn't turn the key off after the final 10 minutes. I tried starting the vehicle without turning the key to the off position. I had read online about doing this learning/programming procedure but the person who had posted the information was not real clear on the fact that you were supposed to turn the key off before trying to start the vehicle. I'll have to try figure out a way to get it scanned, I live out in the country in western North Dakota, I'll have to try find or get a scanner to check it.
Check with your local parts store such as Auto Zone if there is one in your area, they usually have a tool loaner program for a small deposit and they will loan you a code reader. If you can get me a code that will give us some direction on how to proceed.
Ok, I'll check to see if I can get one, won't be able to do that till Monday,but I'll get back to you with results.
No problem, I'm here when you ready.