Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Buick

Buick Regal: there I'm in a real bind. My 99 Buick regal

Customer Question
Hi there I'm in a...
Hi there I'm in a real bind. My 99 Buick regal just out of nowhere just took a crap on me. It will start but only for a few seconds then it'll die. I have power the car just won't run. I really need to find out what the problem is with it. Can you help me?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Buick
5/6/2015
Buick Mechanic: Gary, Buick Technician replied 2 years ago
Gary
Gary, Buick Technician
Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.
I am sorry for the long wait
can you keep it running with your foot on the gas pedal or trying to rev it up ?
are there any codes in the computer at all ?

Yes if I keep my foot on the gas pedal it'll stay running, but that even is starting to not work.

Bill any access to a fuel pressure gauge to test fuel pressure key ON engine OFF ?

No I don't.

the most common issue causing this kind of problem is low fuel pressure which is caused by a bad fuel pump or possibly a restricted or plugged fuel filter
if the fuel filter is new on the car then you must have the fuel pressure tested
key ON engine OFF it should be 48 - 55 PSI
if the pressure is below that the pump is bad
if the PSI is good then we need to look into a vacuum leak or restricted cat converter or even a dirty or bad MAF
but to get to the root cause of this issue fuel pressure needs to be tested first

Ok I just called AutoZone an I can rent one. I just need to find a way to get there to get it.

ok

Ok so once I get this tester and test the fuel pressure I'll be in touch with you with the results.

sounds good

Ok so I did the test. When I turn the to the on position pressure goes to 55psi then drops to about 42psi.

when the engine is running what will it read ?
if it reads above 42 ish then shut the car off and remove the MAF and clean it out very good with carb cleaner and make sure its spotless then put it back in will it still run bad ?

What's a MAF?

MAF = manifold air flow sensor

I don't have any carb cleaner. Would rubbing alcohol work?

yes

Ok I cleaned the MAF an it didn't seem to make a difference.

Bill at this point without a scan tool to read live data we are kind of dead in the water with this car at home
lets see if any other experts have any ideas
hang on another expert will reply back to you

Ok.

I haven't heard from anyone else. You don't think it could be the fuel filter do you?

Gary
Gary
Gary, Buick Technician