Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2002 Buick park Ave.: I have a 2002 Buick Park Ave. with duel…

I have a 2002 Buick...
I have a 2002 Buick Park Ave. with duel climate control. The problem is it works and heats fine for 10 to 15 mins / miles and then turns cold the temp control and fan work and the dash control seems to work fine other than the light dims and if you tap on it it will go bright again.I have done some research but I am not sure if this would be the control module,the dash control or the temp sensor on the dash also the rear defog dosen't work all the time . The car runs at normal water temp 185 to 210. I don't want to order parts untill I know what I need. The car has 160,000 miles and still runs good for what we use it for
3/2/2014
Buick Mechanic: Mark, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Mark
Mark, ASE Certified Technician
Greetings and welcome to Just Answer. My name is Mark.

Just so we're communicating at the highest level here, I might ask you a few questions so I fully understand what you're talking about. If I should happen to be "offline" when you reply, please give me a chance to respond. I usually will do so with-in 10-12 hrs. (Usually sooner) If I cannot answer your question, or help you to your satisfaction, I will "opt" out and give another tech the opportunity to assist you.

I am not "totally" sure what it is you're asking. Please forgive me, as you have typed out and given a pretty extensive description here, but I have just a couple questions.

You say "....dash control seems to work fine other than the light dims".

What light dims?

The back lighting so you can see the controls at night? .... Or, the lights on the actual display? .... Below is a picture of your control module, correct? .... You have toggle buttons you push up and down for display and fan operation, correct?

Removal Procedure

So, is your only issue the light issue? I know you state everything works fine, except that the lights dim, but do you lose heat or fan speed?

Thank you

the temp light is the one that dims during the day when the headlight are off .What I need to know what is making the heat and defrost to turn cold after 10 or 15 minutes.My wife is using my car to go to work and I only use it a few miles so if takes a few days to get an answer thats fine. Thanks Bill

Okay Bill, I understand. .... Thanks for getting back to me, and I understand what you're after.

The most "common" failure with your system are the Temperature Valve Mode Actuators. In the older make and models, most everything was controlled with vacuum actuators. But you can get more precise settings with an actual motor. Seems like with just about everything, newer and better, doesn't always result in more dependable craftsmanship. I will say though, if you went this long without making any repairs to your HVAC system, that's pretty good. Laughing

It would be pretty unusual thought that "both" would fail. Yes, you have a driver's side and passenger's side temperature door actuator.

That dash unit is actually your control module. That is the brain of the whole system. It controls, with the input feeds, the output commands from you. Temperature and mode door position. Inputs are from the sensors both outside and inside.

If you had a scanner, you could plug it in and read "body" codes and it would most likely point you in a direction of diagnosis. Most likely you do not, so another way we could go at this is to set both the Driver's side and Passenger's side to the max heat. Then put the heat on floor, (if your cold weather climate will allow) turn your fan up a little and drive. Then you when you loose your heat, see if you loose heat on both sides of your car.

If you loose heat all together on both sides, then your issue is that dash unit. But if you loose heat on just one side, then your issue is your temperature door actuator.

Below, I have included a picture of the actuator on the Driver's side. It is located above your gas pedal on the side of the HVAC case. It is easily replaced by removing the hush panel above your feet.

See if you can diagnose this a little more, or maybe you even know, and I can help you more with repair if need be.

If in fact you know that you loose heat all together, then your issue is the dash unit. With your statement that your rear defroster doesn't always work either, points us in the direction on the control. Most failures with a rear defroster is burned grids in the glass. But failure to work sometimes and sometimes not, says your control is failing inside.

And obviously, you loose heat on one side and not the other, then your issue is the motor actuator.

Mark
Mark, ASE Certified Technician