Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Buick

Buick LeSabre Custom: DTC p0446, where is the vent solenoid

DTC p0446, where is the...
DTC p0446, where is the vent solenoid located? 99 lesabre.
THanks
6/30/2012
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Buick Mechanic

Thanks for using J/A / Pearl
My answer is below.
"Please only rate my answer if you are satisfied with the service I have provided.
If you feel the need to click "helped a little" or "I expected more" please stop because this will result in a negative mark on my feedback record.
Instead, please simply reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT link with the issue you have.
I am happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek."
My answer may not be to your liking, but is a correct & honest answer.
Many times the only fix will be by Dealer or Shop, so please do not hold that against me.

where is the vent solenoid located? 99 lesabre

Left hand front corner of the engine compartment, on the top of the vapor canister

graphic

Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Buick Mechanic
anything you can add for me to diagnose this P0446 DTC, typical causes?

sorry........you posted:

DTC p0446, where is the vent solenoid located? 99 lesabre

I answered

The Trouble Code PO446 is typically a high pressure in Fuel Tank, which can be caused by the Vent Solenoid or blockage at the Tank

Here is Buick procedures

>>>> CLICK HERE

Use of Scan Tool is needed:
If an EVAP vent valve or EVAP purge valve electrical malfunction is present, the purge system will not operate correctly.

Repairing the electrical malfunction that caused the additional DTC to set will very likely correct the condition that set this DTC.
Checks for a fuel tank pressure sensor stuck high condition.

The scan tool should read within 1.0 in. H20 of the specified value.
Verifies that the fuel tank pressure sensor accurately reacts to EVAP system pressure changes.

The EVAP station is pressurizing a sensor that normally reads vacuum.

The Tech II Scan Tool reads high pressure at 0 Volts and high vacuum at 5 Volts.

The Tech II can only read a maximum pressure of 6.0 in. of H20 (0 Volts).

However the EVAP Service Station can pressurize the system to much higher pressures.

The Scan Tool value should be within 0.5 of the specified value.
Checks for a plugged or stuck closed EVAP Vent valve/solenoid.

The value should decrease to within 1.0 in. HG of the specified value.

Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Buick Mechanic