Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

replacing the front cv drivers side axle bearing and shaft...trans

i am replacing the front cv drivers side axle bearing and shaft. All was good until I tried to remove the shaft . i fastened the slide hammer around the inside end and the shaft came apart leaving the inner end stuck in the trans. How do I get it out? 2002 Buick lesabre limited.

you need to use a cv axle attachment on the slide hammer. It goes between the inner joint housing and the differential:

graphic

you can rent it from Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts.

If you have no access to this, then you have two options - use a prybar between the differential and cv joint housing to pop it free, and yes, it does take some force but I have never in over 25yrs in the field seen a transmission damaged from this as most auto manufacturers specifically state to remove the cv axle this way.

Your other choice is to remove the cv axle on other side and use a punch thru the differential opening to knock the stuck cv inner joint free

Please note, your Deposit doesn't constitute a payment. Please click the ACCEPT BUTTON and/or SMILEY FACE to complete transaction or ask for more help. Positive feedback is always appreciated. Bonuses are welcome. Please note that if you have a subscription service you still need to click the accept button, however you are not charged again. Thank you.