Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Buick

I have no dash lights or tail lights

I have no dash lights or tail lights
1/2/2012
jonb9173
jonb9173, ASE Certified Technician

jonb9173 :

Hello

jonb9173 :

Is it a century custom, limited,or special?

jonb9173 :

And also when you say no tail lights do you mean no lights at all or just no running lights?

Customer:

Limited

Customer:

no running lights break lights and turn signals are fine...no dashboard lights either

jonb9173 :

Ok sorry for all the questions but what do you mean by you checked some fuses?

Customer:

In the glove compartment there is a fuse box. I checked all of the colored plastic fuses and they are fine.

Customer:

no problem ask all the questions u need. I am tired of getting pulled over for no tail lights.

jonb9173 :

As in you pulled them out and looked at them or checked for power with a test light?

Customer:

pulled them out and looked at them

jonb9173 :

have you checked the bulbs in the tail lights?

Customer:

yes, they are good and were all replaced within the last two months

jonb9173 :

Do you have a test light and know how to use one?

Customer:

there has got to be a reason why the dash lights and tail lights are not working at the same time.

Customer:

yes

jonb9173 :

Yes i am getting to that

Customer:

k

Customer:

The car is a "custom" not a Limited sorry

jonb9173 :

First you need to check for power at the fuses.Fuse #7 is for the tail lights and fuse #13 is for the instument panel lights. Just touch the test light to the small slots in the top of the fuse on both sides with your ignition on and lights on. You should have power at both sides of the fuse.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

I guess the signals and break lights are on other fuses?

jonb9173 :

If you have power at both sides then you will have to start checking for switch problems.

jonb9173 :

yes the signals and brakes are

Customer:

ok so check the switch that turns on the lights? does that require removal of the dash?

jonb9173 :

It will require removal of the trim around the dash not the whole dash

Customer:

thank goodness...I really don't want to take the dash off...so pop it off with a putty knife or something?

jonb9173 :

One dumb question pertaining to the dash lights. You are sure that the dimmer knob isn't in the dim position right?

Customer:

yeah I know it isn't the dimmer been messing with it constantly...I was driving one night and the dash lights blinked and then went off completely.

jonb9173 :

Ok that does sound like a switch problem.

Customer:

so putty knife or is there a special technique to getting the trim off?

jonb9173 :

Just make sure you double check the power at the fuses

Customer:

I will...check the power first

jonb9173 :

Let me look it up to be sure its been alittle while since i worked on a 91

Customer:

k

jonb9173 :

Ok its a little to old for my programing. So let me ask this. On your car the light switch is a pull knob on the dash correct?

Customer:

no it is a flip type switch

Customer:

a rocker switch?

jonb9173 :

Ok i know what kind you have. You may need to remove the knee panel on the driver side befor you try to pop out the dash panel. Sometimes the knee panel is hiding a couple of screws for the bottom of the dash panel.

Customer:

ok I will look under there...

jonb9173 :

Just be careful the car is old and i am sure the plastic is brittle.

Customer:

Ok...in the end, I don't care about looks as I do gettin to work ha ha ha

jonb9173 :

lol i know what you mean

Customer:

but it is a nice car, has sat in grandma's garage for a long time.

Customer:

Ok, so do I go try to fix this and then pay you if it works or what?

jonb9173 :

You pay when you are satisfied. Remeber i can only advise you since i am not there to check the vehicle myself. All i can go by is the information you give me. But it is most likely the switch since it turns on the running lights and the dash lights.

Customer:

ok, well If I leave the website, will I be able to return to pay you?

jonb9173 :

Yes just return to this link

Customer:

okie dokie I will give it a whirl and let you know how it goes.

jonb9173 :

Thanks have a great day

Customer:

you too

jonb9173 :

Also you can return any time to this link for further assistance on this matter.

jonb9173
jonb9173, ASE Certified Technician
jonb9173
jonb9173
jonb9173, ASE Certified Technician