Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Buick

Where is the crankshaft position sensor located on a Buick LeSabre?

where is the crankshaft position...
where is the crankshaft position sensor located and how do i get it out?
11/3/2011
Neal
Neal, Buick Mechanic

Here is the procedure and a diagram. You will need to do a relearn which will require a scan tool.

graphic

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

Tools Required

^ J 36660 Torque/Angle Meter.

^ J 37096 Flywheel Holding Tool.

^ J 38197 Balancer Remover.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Remove the serpentine belt(s) from the crankshaft pulley.

3. Raise the vehicle on a hoist.

4. Remove the right front wheel and tire assembly.

5. Remove the right inner fender access cover.

6. Hold the flywheel with J 37096 Flywheel Holding Tool.

7. Using 28 mm socket, remove the crankshaft harmonic balancer retaining bolt.

8. Remove the crankshaft harmonic balancer using special tool J 36197 Balancer Remover.

9. Remove the crankshaft position sensor shield (1) (Do Not use a pry bar).

10. Disconnect the sensor electrical connector.

11. Remove 2 attaching bolts from the crankshaft position sensor.

12. Remove the crankshaft position sensor from block face.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Position the crankshaft position ((CKP) Crankshaft Position) sensor to the block.

2. Install the bolts to hold the CKP sensor to the block face.
^ Tighten the bolts to 20-40 Nm (14-28 ft. lbs.).

NOTICE: Refer to Service Precautions / Fasteners.

3. Install the crankshaft position sensor shield.

4. Connect the CKP sensor electrical connector.

5. Position the crankshaft harmonic balancer on the crankshaft.

^ Tighten the harmonic balancer bolt to 150 Nm +76 (110 ft. lbs. + 76°).

7. Install the right inner fender access cover.

8. Install the right front wheel and tire assembly.
^ Tighten the lug nuts to 140 Nm (104 ft. lbs.).

9. Lower the vehicle.

10. Install the serpentine belt(s).

11. Connect the negative battery cable.

12. Perform the Crankshaft Position System Variation Learn Procedure. Refer to Powertrain Control Module / Service and Repair / Replacement / Programming.

Relearn procedure

The crankshaft position system variation compensating values are stored in the PCM non-volatile memory after a learn procedure has been performed. If the actual crankshaft position system variation does not match the crankshaft position system variation compensating values stored in the PCM, DTC P0300 may set (refer to DIAGNOSTIC AIDS for DTC P0300).

The Crankshaft Position System Variation Learn Procedure should be performed if any of the following conditions are true:

^ DTC P1336 is set.

^ The PCM has been replaced.

^ The PCM has been reprogrammed.

^ The engine has been replaced.

^ The crankshaft has been replaced.

^ The crankshaft harmonic balancer has been replaced.

^ The crankshaft position sensor has been replaced.

CAUTION: Set the vehicle parking brake and block the drive wheels when performing the Crankshaft Position System Variation Learning Procedure. Release the throttle immediately when the engine starts to decelerate. Once the learn procedure is completed, the PCM will return the engine control to the operator and the engine will respond to the throttle position.

IMPORTANT: Begin the crankshaft position system variation learn procedure with the ignition switch OFF. Do not turn ON the ignition switch or start the vehicle unless instructed to do so by the scan tool.

The scan tool crankshaft position system variation learn function will be inhibited if any powertrain DTCs other than DTC P1336 are set before or during the crankshaft position system variation learn procedure. Clear DTCs before attempting to perform the crankshaft position system variation learn procedure. If any DTCs reset, the DTCs must be diagnosed and repaired before the crankshaft position system variation learn procedure can be successfully completed.

The crankshaft position system variation learn function will be inhibited if the PCM detects a malfunction involving the camshaft position signal circuit, the 3X reference circuit, or the 18X reference circuit.

^ If the scan tool indicates that a problem with the camshaft position signal exists, refer to DTC P0341 Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Circuit Performance.

^ If the scan tool indicates that a problem with the 3X crank signal exists, refer to DTC P1374 3X Reference Circuit.

^ If the scan tool indicates that a problem with the 18X crank signal exists, refer to DTC P0336 18X Reference Signal Circuit.

The scan tool crankshaft position system variation learn function will not be enabled until engine coolant temperature is greater than 70°C (158°F). Selecting the crankshaft position system variation learn procedure on the scan tool will command the PCM to enable (CKP) Crankshaft Position system variation learn fuel cutoff and allow the crankshaft position system compensating values to be stored in the PCM. The PCM must detect an engine speed of 5150 RPM (CKP system variation learn fuel cutoff) during the crankshaft position system variation learn procedure to store the crankshaft position system compensating values and complete the procedure.

1. Set the parking brake.

2. Block the drive wheels.

3. Ensure that the hood is closed.

4. Start the engine and allow engine coolant temperature to reach at least 70°C (158°F).

5. Turn OFF the ignition switch.

6. Select and enable the crankshaft position variation learn procedure with the scan tool.

7. Start the vehicle

8. Ensure that the transaxle is in Park.

9. Apply the brake pedal firmly.

10. Increase accelerator pedal position until CKP system variation learn fuel cutoff is reached. CKP system variation learn fuel cutoff is reached at 5150 RPM. Immediately release the accelerator pedal when fuel cutoff is reached.

11. The crankshaft position system variation compensating values are learned when RPM decreases back to idle. If the procedure terminates, refer to (Important) above for instructions.

12. Observe DTC status for DTC P1336.

13. If the scan tool indicates that DTC P1336 ran and passed, the crankshaft position system variation learn procedure is complete. If the scan tool indicates DTC P1336 failed or not run, check for other DTCs. If no DTCs other than P1336 are set, repeat the crankshaft position system variation learn procedure as necessary.

Neal
Neal, Buick Mechanic
Neal
Neal
Neal, Buick Mechanic